Cheaper to Make a Lateral Transfer to Georgetown Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cheaper to Make a Lateral Transfer to Georgetown

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:48 am

Question:
I am currently at a 15-25 law school and last semester, after doing some investigating, I realized that my current school's LRAP program does not cover jobs in federal government, only non-profit work (contrary to my impression of LRAP when I decided to attend). My main career goals all involve federal government and I've been trying to square how I can continue to pursue this without having to pay an arm and a leg while I pay off my loans through IBR. I have a $25,000/year scholarship currently but predict being 85,000-100,000 in debt by the end of three years. I placed around the top 10% (approximately because my school doesn't rank) in my first semester and I ended up applying to Georgetown Early Action and was accepted.

Now GULC has a very generous LRAP program and I've confirmed that I would be eligible for it and it would cover what I want to do. My question is would it be worth it to transfer for the financial reasons weighed against the lower opportunity for law review/journal and (somewhat) burning bridges with my 1L professors, whom I really like. I have an interest in applying for federal clerkships and realize having those 1L professors in your corner is necessary.

Other factors to consider is that although I really like it at my current school, I don' really have any intention of staying in the region and otherwise have no connection to the area. I understand that that law review at my current school is not a guarantee but it would be even harder to make by doing the transfer write-on competition at Georgetown and GULC is not telling me how many how many spots are reserved for transfers on each journal nor how many transfers compete in the write-on.

Any thoughts one way or another. I appreciate any help!

DrSpaceman

Bronze

Re: Cheaper to Make a Lateral Transfer to Georgetown

Post by DrSpaceman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:03 am

I mean- You're not going to have to pay an arm and a leg in IBR. You'll have to pay 10% of your discretionary income. Georgetown definitely does have a great LRAP, but it will, at best, net you your scholarship back.

That is- you have a 75K scholarship and GTown's LRAP pays your 10% IBR payments below a 75K per year income, so your max benefit there would be 75K of LRAP payments spread over 10 years.

Now, if you think your employment prospects in your desired job are better at one school over another, that's a different consideration.

jess

Re: Cheaper to Make a Lateral Transfer to Georgetown

Post by jess » Fri May 01, 2015 12:12 am

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”