Work for a year or attend a t2 law school, then transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dadrizzle2

New

Work for a year or attend a t2 law school, then transfer?

Post by dadrizzle2 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:39 am

Hi, I'm currently a senior at Rutgers with a 3.8 gpa and some involvement in extracurriculars. I've got a good relationship with many professors, so lor aren't a problem. However, I have been unable to take the lsat in the past due to some personal/family problems I've been dealing with. I'll be taking the lsat for the first time, officially, in June 2015. At the moment, I've only taken a few practice tests but I'm scoring around 164. Given my delay in taking the lsat, I've missed the application deadlines for many top law schools for the coming fall. There are, however, a few local schools which would allow me to submit an application using my scores from the June lsat. My question is, would it be best to attend a local, lower end tier 2 school (hopefully with some kind of a scholarship) for a year and then transfer to a higher ranked school? Or would it be better to take a year off from school, most likely work, and then apply directly to top schools later on? I've been told it's easier to directly transition from your undergrad to law school because you're still in a "student state of mind". Then again, I've been told that it will be very difficult to transfer from a lower end t2 school to a t14 or high t1. Additionally, attending a local school for one year would save me roughly $20,000, just in tuition (plus I'd be able to live at home while attending, so housing would be less for that first year). If you need more information just let me know! Any input is greatly appreciated!

Johann

Diamond

Re: Work for a year or attend a t2 law school, then transfer?

Post by Johann » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:42 am

Yeah get a job and rethink law. Law really can't offer you anything because you have a 3.8.

dadrizzle2

New

Post by dadrizzle2 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:54 am

JohannDeMann wrote:Yeah get a job and rethink law. Law really can't offer you anything because you have a 3.8.
I've gone through the "should I go to law school" phase already. I'm going, just want to know the best way given my current situation.

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:54 am

Any school that accepts the June LSAT for fall start of the same year is not a school that you want to attend.

Take a year to gain some experience after focusing on crushing the LSAT. You will have the best results that way.

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:57 am

Do not attend this fall. Take the LSAT when you maximize your potential, and the sky (pretty much) is your limit with that GPA.

Go to a top school on a hefty scholarship rather than attending a t2

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Additionally, the general advice is to not attend a school unless you are content with graduating from there. Do not bank on transferring.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:17 pm

hairbear7 wrote:Do not attend this fall. Take the LSAT when you maximize your potential, and the sky (pretty much) is your limit with that GPA.

Go to a top school on a hefty scholarship rather than attending a t2

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:51 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Transfers”