point of transferring if I don't want biglaw? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

point of transferring if I don't want biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:23 pm

The dream would be some sort of international/ human rights gig on the East Coast (NGO, UN, some fed. agency). I know those jobs are few and far between and that may be an unrealistic goal. I have the grades to transfer (assuming second semester goes well), would it be worth it?

downbeat14

Silver

Re: point of transferring if I don't want biglaw?

Post by downbeat14 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:34 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:37 pm

Sure...I am at a T2 thinking of transferring to T14 in big markets like NY, DC and Chicago.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Someone correct me if I am wrong..... but the problem with transferring is you have to pay sticker right? You don't receive scholarships I believe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:42 pm

nick417 wrote:Someone correct me if I am wrong..... but the problem with transferring is you have to pay sticker right? You don't receive scholarships I believe.
right

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:16 pm

There's no easy answer. Have you tried talking to your professors? They might be able to provide more useful advice as far as your specific goals (and yes, they will understand the inclination to transfer). Some of the best advice I got from one of my professors is to "not close off a door before it opens." In other words, just apply and see what happens. If you get in, then you can decide. For now, focus on getting good grades this semester too.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:07 pm

at a t2, you likely won't get biglaw and you most likely won't get your dream job. by going to a t14 (ccn+ particularly) you likely will get big law and actually have a shot at your dream job. IMO it's worth, especially if you'd fall back on big law for a few years before switching to your dream job. fwiw i've met a few people from UN 6th committee/ OLA who worked in big law before taking the (former version) of the YPP exam to get into the UN. big law experience translates well to the UN, at least, as a credential that may open doors. hth.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:17 pm

To do the work you want you'll have to transfer. T14s have LRAPs that can defeat the burden of paying sticker. However, I don't know much about any opportunities outside of transferring to CLS. There is a transfer student here going overseas to do IHR during 2L summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:24 pm

Thank you everyone! If anyone else has input it would be greatly appreciated

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:03 pm

Biglaw is less snobby than what you're aiming for. Transfer to a big city and start interning and networking frantically.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”