Does 1L SA Matter? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does 1L SA Matter?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 pm

At a T-20 school (full disclosure, not WUSTL: I've seen a lot of threads about that, and while i appreciate that advice i feel like that may be an exception to the rule-but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), top 25% and secured an internship with supreme court justice as well as a biglaw 1L SA (basically won't have any free time this summer).

Does anyone know if that plays a significant role (or has seen that play a significant role) in their transfer process? Does it give you a boost or is it completely irrelevant?

(Please no sass on why I'd want to leave if I already got an SA or anything of that nature. Its for personal reasons, and while I'd be interested in staying on at the biglaw job, I would VERY much like to change schools)

Muchas Gracias!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlerraider1

Bronze

Re: Does 1L SA Matter?

Post by butlerraider1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Also interested in this and to play off of this question, what about being a Research Assistant for a Professor during the school year?

queerqueg

New

Post by queerqueg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:54 pm

muchas*

consider yourself sassed

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:06 pm

it should since it shows you are employable.

But ur peronal reasons are prestige whoring right?
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:24 am

The SA is fine but it's not going to help your grades, which will be the biggest factor in the transfer process.

A research assistantship will not help. Don't waste your time doing it unless you're getting paid. I did one spring 1L solely because I got paid.

timesnewboston

New

Post by timesnewboston » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:50 pm

My $.02: The school wants you to a) pay big money, b) pass the bar, and c) get hired. Since grades heavily point correlate to passing the bar and getting hired, they rely most on that. If you're 1L SA directly points to a high likely hood of you getting a good job, then it should help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”