CCN-->HY transfer question Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

3.7 Sufficient?

Both H & Y
13%
At H
71%
At Neither
17%

Total votes: 24

Anonymous User

CCN-->HY transfer question

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm having trouble finding specific numbers on a CCN-->HY transfer. Looking to transfer for personal (mainly geographic) reasons. Will hopefully maintain my 3.7 this second semester, will that be enough for HY?

Thanks!!

toothbrush

Gold

Re: CCN-->HY transfer question

Post by toothbrush » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Looking to transfer for personal (mainly geographic) reasons.
wife in boston, girlfriend in new haven ?

edit: on a serious note, this is not much data on this. CLS/NYU -> Y is pretty competitive and i'm not sure a 3.7 pulls that. Perhaps H would dip to around ~20-15% but really I'm not sure and I'd be inclined to think that you still need to be closer to top 10% to get H.

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Anecdotally, I know a guy who was top 1/3 at CLS and got dinged by HLS. You want to be top 10% to have a good shot at HLS--you may be able to get in with lower, but then again they also may decide to take the #1 student at some T35 over Mr. 17% at CLS. YLS is a crapshoot. The CLS/NYU people who got in had very high grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:55 pm

thank you both for the replies (OP here)!

I'm also having a hard time figuring out rank since I don't have another datapoint for the mylsn calculator - any ideas what a 3.7 comes out to at CCN?

Also does it make a difference if it's all great grades and one mediocre vs. a mix of good/pretty good?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:58 pm

toothbrush wrote:you still need to be closer to top 10% to get H.
3.7 is almost certainly top 10% at CLS, although you can only be at 3.67 or 3.77 after one semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:08 pm

transferring "CCN" -> "HY" is objectively stupid unless you are getting no scholarship at CCN and would get need based aid at the new school

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:06 pm

jbagelboy wrote:transferring "CCN" -> "HY" is objectively stupid unless you are getting no scholarship at CCN and would get need based aid at the new school
This advice is objectively stupid--there is no reason why CCN sticker is preferable to HYS sticker

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:transferring "CCN" -> "HY" is objectively stupid unless you are getting no scholarship at CCN and would get need based aid at the new school
This advice is objectively stupid--there is no reason why CCN sticker is preferable to HYS sticker
Being top 10% at CCN is probably> being a transfer at Yale or Harvard.

That being said, if no aid at the CCN and good geographic reasons to move up the east coast a bit, then it's not a bad move.

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:46 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:

That being said, if no aid at the CCN and good geographic reasons to move up the east coast a bit, then it's not a bad move.
It may or may not be, I don't think either of us can be certain how employers will weigh a top 10% CCN student against a median HYS student--but why does everyone think that the CCN transfer will be median at HYS? Someone who transferred into HYS has probably developed far better study skills than most of their new classmates did.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
TheUnicornHunter wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:

It may or may not be, I don't think either of us can be certain how employers will weigh a top 10% CCN student against a median HYS student--but why does everyone think that the CCN transfer will be median at HYS? Someone who transferred into HYS has probably developed far better study skills than most of their new classmates did.
For a lot of people it won't matter though. Once 1L is done grades are kind of out the window.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:28 am

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
you're right, it should have been "if you are receiving aid at CCN and would not at the new school." although I still question the logic behind any transfer within that range, finances equal, the more important point being (as expressed by my quotation marks) that "H" =/= "Y" in this context, which you know well. Lastly it's preferable in my opinion to not have to go through transferring (unless you don't like your current school) than to have to do it, so there is at least one reason

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:06 am

Transferring in a pain in the ass and only worth it if the reward is high. Dunno if losing top 10% at CCN is worth it.

What are your post grad goals? Would HLS help you attain those?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:07 pm

goals clerking, doj honors if possible but willing to do biglaw for a while. the question of having LR for clerking is one i'm think about too - sounds like LR would be a slim possibility at Y, no real possibility at H.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:17 pm

With your goals, there's no reason to transfer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:11 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:With your goals, there's no reason to transfer.
What goals would you view as making a transfer worthwhile?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
To yale, to become a law professor

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Clerking and Honors DOJ is just as achievable with top 10 percent at CCN, compared to transfering.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:39 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
To yale, to become a law professor
Is this even true if you can't get on to journal at yale? I feel like someone on journal at CLS (and with an extra year to develop contacts with professors) is going to be just as competitive as someone who just transfers in to Yale. Might be wrong about this though, I'm certainly no expert in the market for transfer legal academics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:14 pm

3.7 will be top 10% at CCN but probably not good enough to grade on to LR so journal chances might be similar regardless of transfer, right (except at H where probably no chance)?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.7 will be top 10% at CCN but probably not good enough to grade on to LR so journal chances might be similar regardless of transfer, right (except at H where probably no chance)?
you'll learn about LR prior to having to transver

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:3.7 will be top 10% at CCN but probably not good enough to grade on to LR so journal chances might be similar regardless of transfer, right (except at H where probably no chance)?
I don't know how it works at Chicago/NYU, but nobody grades onto Law Review at Columbia. It's a factor for those who don't write on, but it's not the strongest factor, either. There are plenty of Kent Scholars (estimated top 3-5%) who aren't on Law Review.

If you really want to clerk or do DOJ Honors, stay and build connections. If you want DOJ Honors, try to intern in the Division you want this summer, and during the school year in 2L/3L if at all possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:57 pm

NYU you can grade-on LR. But it's helpful to be close to the grade-on cut-off if you're trying to write-on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”