Scholarships and transferring Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MikeM-law

Bronze

Scholarships and transferring

Post by MikeM-law » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi guys sorry if this is has already been asked but here is my dilemma in a nutshell:

I was accepted into two T2's (among others but these are the two im leaning towards at the moment). The one school I really want to go to costs an absolute fortune (even with the 50% scholarship I was awarded) because you can't live on campus and it's in an expensive area. The other school which is ranked considerably lower (although still T2) offered me a full scholarship and I can live on campus so it's way cheaper. So here's the question: if I go to the cheaper school for year 1 and then transfer over into the more expensive school, will I have to pay the scholarship back for that first year?

toothbrush

Gold

Re: Scholarships and transferring

Post by toothbrush » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:41 pm

MikeM-law wrote:Hi guys sorry if this is has already been asked but here is my dilemma in a nutshell:

I was accepted into two T2's (among others but these are the two im leaning towards at the moment). The one school I really want to go to costs an absolute fortune (even with the 50% scholarship I was awarded) because you can't live on campus and it's in an expensive area. The other school which is ranked considerably lower (although still T2) offered me a full scholarship and I can live on campus so it's way cheaper. So here's the question: if I go to the cheaper school for year 1 and then transfer over into the more expensive school, will I have to pay the scholarship back for that first year?
Depends on the scholarship's stipulations at the Y1 school. It's be pretty ttt to say that "you have to graduate or else you pay back the scholarship" but you should read the fine print but some schools do have harsh stips.

Also, this is a really stupid idea IMO. Why do you "really want to go to..." the school that costs more? You can't guarantee you'll get in as a transfer and the general advice is that you shouldn't go to any law school that you wouldn't be happy graduating from. Aka, don't go to law school banking on transferring.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Re: Scholarships and transferring

Post by MarkfromWI » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:27 pm

toothbrush wrote:
MikeM-law wrote:Hi guys sorry if this is has already been asked but here is my dilemma in a nutshell:

Depends on the scholarship's stipulations at the Y1 school. It's be pretty ttt to say that "you have to graduate or else you pay back the scholarship" but you should read the fine print but some schools do have harsh stips.

Also, this is a really stupid idea IMO. Why do you "really want to go to..." the school that costs more? You can't guarantee you'll get in as a transfer and the general advice is that you shouldn't go to any law school that you wouldn't be happy graduating from. Aka, don't go to law school banking on transferring.
+1

The chances of you having to pay back that scholarship aren't very high, but there are schools out there that do it so watch out. More importantly though, do not go to a school with the plan of transferring. Even though transferring is ostensibly becoming slightly easier, it still requires very strong grades. Everybody comes into law school thinking they're gonna kill it, and 85-90% of kids don't do well enough to transfer. Instead try using your full scholly offer to negotiate with the school you'd rather go to and bump it up a bit.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”