T14 w/ $$$ to HY transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Is it worth trying to transfer to HY?

Yes, if you don't make LR at current school
5%
Yes, regardless of LR
11%
No
84%

Total votes: 19

Anonymous User

T14 w/ $$$ to HY transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm a 1L at a lower T14 (not T6) and my first semester GPA was slightly above a 4.0, which I think puts me in the top 1%. I've got a 3/4 tuition scholarship and am very happy with where I am now. I want to do BigFed (e.g., DOJ or SEC), and so I figure a clerkship would be helpful. I have no desire to be on the West Coast for any length of time, so I'm really only thinking about HY. I'm assuming that if I get LR I should stay, but I don't think anyone grades on at my school (i.e., it's not guaranteed), and HY w/o LR must be better than top of class w/o LR at lower T14, right? Thanks TLS, you've always been there for me.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Re: T14 w/ $$$ to HY transfer?

Post by fats provolone » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:24 pm

no

worst idea ever

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:25 pm

Top 1% at a lower T14 with $$$ has no reason to transfer unless there is some special unicorn job you desire that only Y can get you.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:26 pm

fats provolone wrote:no

worst idea ever
Dude, he's not T6 though

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:27 pm

how much money are you getting from your current school? for half that, I'll give you my HLS diploma and slap the shit out of you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:34 pm

First, congrats on the awesome grades. See how you're doing after your second semester. If you're still up there grade-wise, then I'm not sure it would make sense to transfer to H unless you're doing it purely for the personal satisfaction of being at H. Unlike some people here, I think that is a perfectly legitimate reason to transfer. However, if transferring would just be a means to an end - clerkships, BigFed, etc. - then I think someone in the top 1-2% and on LR at a school like MVPB has as good a shot as the average H student. On the other hand, it might still be worth it to transfer to Y.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HY w/o LR must be better than top of class w/o LR at lower T14, right?
lolno.

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at a lower T14...puts me in the top 1%. I've got a 3/4 tuition scholarship
you are in one of the most desirable possible positions right now.

don't flinch.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:36 pm

Don't even think about it.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:38 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:I'm not sure it would make sense to transfer to H unless you're doing it purely for the personal satisfaction of being at H. Unlike some people here, I think that is a perfectly legitimate reason to transfer.
that's some really expensive satisfaction. may as well buy a lambo

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:44 pm

IMO, you are more likely to actually end up working for the federal government if you do not transfer. Loans are a bigger barrier to that kind of work than being from a school a few slots lower in the ranking is. Top 1% at a T14 school is plenty good to get into the DOJ, but $200k in loans is a one-way ticket to biglaw for most people.

Also, I blew these points off when I transferred, but in retrospect, I wish I had not- transferring is very socially isolating and the professors are better at your current school than they are at HY. Don't underestimate the important of building connections and actually learning the law. Both of those things will take a hit if you transfer.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Congratulations on your grades. I don't know why you would transfer. Even if you want to clerk for SCOTUS if you are top 1-2% at lower T14 you will have as good a chance as anyone.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:52 pm

tuhaybey wrote:
Also, I blew these points off when I transferred, but in retrospect, I wish I had not- transferring is very socially isolating and the professors are better at your current school than they are at HY. Don't underestimate the important of building connections and actually learning the law. Both of those things will take a hit if you transfer.
IDK about profs or learning the law, but I do know people who have gotten jobs for their bros only a year out of law school. Not like killer, OMG-I-NEVER-THOUGHT-I'D-GET-THIS-OPPORTUNITY jobs, but still jobs. As they move up to help their friends out more, it will probably get better and better. Take that $1,000 a month extra for 25 years and buy people drinks every Friday. You'll get a better return.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:11 pm

You can get BigFed where you're at right now. I would stay, because BigFed cares more about your grades and your demonstrated commitment to public service. Besides, you're at a T14, which is preftigous enough for BigFed, especially with top-of-class grades.

If you want more info feel free to PM me. I did BigFed 1L summer and will be returning to the General Counsel's Office 2L at BigFed--I can give you anecdotes on my limited experience w/ meeting with hiring mangers are various agencies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks for slapping some sense into me, TLS. I will put this madness from my mind.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:47 pm

How much need based aid could you get at HY? If it's a lot, and your grades drop next semester and you don't make LR then transferring could still make sense.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:54 pm

it would probably hurt your chances at a clerkship and the types of jobs you want to transfer if you keep your grades at that level

not to mention what an incredibly ruinous financial decision that would be

tuhaybey

New

Post by tuhaybey » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:18 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:How much need based aid could you get at HY? If it's a lot, and your grades drop next semester and you don't make LR then transferring could still make sense.
You generally don't get any aid of any kind when you transfer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:19 am

tuhaybey wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:How much need based aid could you get at HY? If it's a lot, and your grades drop next semester and you don't make LR then transferring could still make sense.
You do at HYS.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:32 am

theres some irony in this thread..top 1% and this question. Dont do it.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
tuhaybey wrote:
You do at HYS.
u gotta be pretty poor though. and with bomb 1L grades you very well may get a paying 1L summer job and likely 2L biglaw which is going to hurt your aid

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:09 pm

fats provolone wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
tuhaybey wrote:
You do at HYS.
u gotta be pretty poor though. and with bomb 1L grades you very well may get a paying 1L summer job and likely 2L biglaw which is going to hurt your aid
Oh for sure. Definitely shouldn't transfer unless his parents make like $40k, and even then...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:48 pm

fats provolone wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:I'm not sure it would make sense to transfer to H unless you're doing it purely for the personal satisfaction of being at H. Unlike some people here, I think that is a perfectly legitimate reason to transfer.
Yes, and so what? Different people prefer different things, and some people value certain things more than money. I've never understood the bizarre TLS attitude that money is literally the only thing that should be guiding your decision-making in cases like these. If someone knows what the costs of transferring is and chooses to accept them, who are you to say they're making a bad decision? Is it so ridiculous to think that some extra money from one school for two years shouldn't be the deciding factor that should shape a choice that will last the rest of your life? Meanwhile, it is undeniably true that for the rest of your people, people are just going to view a YHS degree totally differently than even one from CCN, let alone MVPB or DNCG. Again, this may not be the tradeoff you'd make, and that's fine, but if someone is willing to incur some extra debt to be able to know that they attended one of the three best law schools in the world, that's not a silly choice. And let's get real for a moment--someone who attends YHS will have plenty of opportunities post-graduation to pay off that debt relatively quickly.

utahraptor

Gold

Post by utahraptor » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:52 pm

there's a lot of irony here that I'm not going to spoil

keep the money

you'll be plenty prestigious without the H bomb

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
fats provolone wrote:
Yes, and so what? Different people prefer different things, and some people value certain things more than money. I've never understood the bizarre TLS attitude that money is literally the only thing that should be guiding your decision-making in cases like these. If someone knows what the costs of transferring is and chooses to accept them, who are you to say they're making a bad decision? Is it so ridiculous to think that some extra money from one school for two years shouldn't be the deciding factor that should shape a choice that will last the rest of your life? Meanwhile, it is undeniably true that for the rest of your people, people are just going to view a YHS degree totally differently than even one from CCN, let alone MVPB or DNCG. Again, this may not be the tradeoff you'd make, and that's fine, but if someone is willing to incur some extra debt to be able to know that they attended one of the three best law schools in the world, that's not a silly choice. And let's get real for a moment--someone who attends YHS will have plenty of opportunities post-graduation to pay off that debt relatively quickly.
lol. so depends who you're hanging out with. not everyone is going to view these degrees totally differently, since there are plenty of people (including lawyers) out there who just don't care, and plenty of people from those lesser schools end up doing the exact same jobs as many of the YHS crowd.

I get your point about money, but it's a lot easier to have this attitude when you don't have $250K in debt than when you do.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:58 pm

YOU TLSERS ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY. YOU FORGOT ABOUT THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE LIKE HOW MUCH PEOPLE JUDGE YOU AFTER YOU TELL THEM WHAT SCHOOL YOU WENT TO.

Also, the OP as already relieved that he/she doesn't have these values.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”