Feeling nauseous about this first round of exams Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Feeling nauseous about this first round of exams

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:55 pm

First round of exams at the new transfer school, and I must say I feel more inadequate now than I did as a 1L.

I feel like the general notion is that students at better schools are generally smarter,which makes me very concerned about the curve. I had nearly all b's at my first school, and an A in evidence. So I ended with a 3.3 at top 25%. I transferred from a T2, 70-100, to a T25. I have a strong predilection for criminal law, and I think I will most likely become a prosecutor absent a competing offer from a good firm.

The thought of getting lower than a B on any of my exams makes me sick to my stomach, I feel like a C is simply embarrassing. If the consensus is correct, and the students here are smarter, then conceivably I would move slightly down the curve, which would put me dangerously close to the C range.

As a caveat I feel as though I generally under prepare for exams, I just can't get into the non stop binge studying. For example, I didn't study not one bit for the MPRE, but I did pass for every state. In preparation for these exams I read over my outlines a few times and practiced issue spotting a little for the subjects I had past exams for. Even though this is precisely how I always prepare for exams, I fear perhaps this time this lack of studying zeal could really hurt me.

All I can think of right now are these exams, is my analysis of my potential performance conceivably accurate? Any insight, wisdom, or just general thoughts and comments about your own situation would be awesome. Are other transfers experiencing similar anxiety? Community discussion I think would help relieve my anxiety some. It really helps to know you aren't the only one. Thanks for reading.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Re: Feeling nauseous about this first round of exams

Post by ellewoods123 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:04 pm

I feel EXACTLY the same way. I was top 20% at my 1L
School and I transferred up and now am absolutely in a panic. So much so that I actually met with the dean to discuss dismissal policies and ended up hysterically crying in her office. I was entirely confident 1L year and now I feel like I don't even know how to study. I thought I prepared well for my first exam and came out in tears. Coming from a low ranked school I moved into a top 50 school and feel as though I will fall below the curve. I need a minimum gpa of a 2.4 and am sick over the idea of not making it.

I've never gone through this before. I went from making it through final callback rounds during OCI (mind you not getting an offer, but still) to legitimately worrying about failing out.

I have two more exams left and trying my best to stay calm, but it's really tough. I feel your pain

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:09 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:02 pm

sublime wrote:I didn't transfer and almost universally assume that transfers are much harder working, if not also smarter than I am.

I appreciate the sentiment, really I do. However, I am quite certain that I am not working harder than others. lol I just get bored when reviewing the same material over and over. So far my studying tactics haven't hurt too bad, but right now I am really feeling nervous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:19 pm

ellewoods123 wrote:I feel EXACTLY the same way. I was top 20% at my 1L
School and I transferred up and now am absolutely in a panic. So much so that I actually met with the dean to discuss dismissal policies and ended up hysterically crying in her office. I was entirely confident 1L year and now I feel like I don't even know how to study. I thought I prepared well for my first exam and came out in tears. Coming from a low ranked school I moved into a top 50 school and feel as though I will fall below the curve. I need a minimum gpa of a 2.4 and am sick over the idea of not making it.

I've never gone through this before. I went from making it through final callback rounds during OCI (mind you not getting an offer, but still) to legitimately worrying about failing out.

I have two more exams left and trying my best to stay calm, but it's really tough. I feel your pain
What tier was your old school? Thank you so much for replying, just knowing that I am not alone helps a lot!

I have to say I am not quite to the point of tears, but I was certainly feeling physically ill after that last exam I took on Friday. Now that I think about it I wish I could cry some, I'd probably feel a lot better! Knowing that you have been reduced to tears because of this makes my heart melt. I am sorry for your plight. All that I can say in the way of advice is to try to keep your head held as high as possible until you get through these last two exams, and then crumble all you want until you get the grades. lol You don't want to be thinking about performance on other exams while taking a current exam.

I keep trying to tell myself that the fear of inadequacy is all in my head, as it was in 1L. But I just don't remember being this concerned after my 1L exams, ignorance is bliss perhaps. I feel very comfortable about being top 25%, and sinking lower than that (god forbid to 2.0 or lower) is such a scary thought. I think a lot of this panic is stemming from the importance that people associate with law school ranking, and the perceived ability of those who attend. We have been programmed by this site and others to believe that those in better law schools are far superior to those in lower ranked schools, which is probably contributing to these fears we are feeling now about the curve. I hope it is all hogwash, and all law students are essentially the same with similar ability.

Thanks again for commenting, I really appreciate the interaction with someone who is in a similar situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ellewoods123

Bronze

Post by ellewoods123 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:37 pm

I was at a T4 so you can imagine my panic now at a T2. The main reason I transferred was because 1L Left me feeling so incredibly unchallenged. So now I feel as though maybe I am just feeling the so-called "normal" law school stress/panic/pressure that I didn't feel last year. I'm not even sure how much a t2 really differs from a t4. I feel a huge a difference but part of that could be in my head.

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing your anxieties, it helps to know you're not alone!

thomzzz

New

Post by thomzzz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:48 pm

Finished 1L in the top 20% at my TTT/TTTT, transferred to a T1. Exams have been BRUTAL. I just had my third one out of five, and it went horribly. I felt like I was completely guessing on the MC portion, and barely had anything to write about on the issue spotter portion. I looked around the room and could see people seemed to write 5x more than me. I literally feel sick to my stomach and like I'm going to fail. This is the worst feeling in the world.

I remember as a 1L feeling like I failed an exam and then getting an A. I really don't think that is what's happening this time. I'll just be thrilled to hit median...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:06 pm

thomzzz wrote:Finished 1L in the top 20% at my TTT/TTTT, transferred to a T1. Exams have been BRUTAL. I just had my third one out of five, and it went horribly. I felt like I was completely guessing on the MC portion, and barely had anything to write about on the issue spotter portion. I looked around the room and could see people seemed to write 5x more than me. I literally feel sick to my stomach and like I'm going to fail. This is the worst feeling in the world.

I remember as a 1L feeling like I failed an exam and then getting an A. I really don't think that is what's happening this time. I'll just be thrilled to hit median...
I had almost the exact same experience in one of my classes. Although it was a floating so I was the only one taking it, I have no way to know whether others had more to write than me.

I feel the same way in regard to grades, although the feeling is starting to wear off now after a few days from my last exam. I hope you both will come back and report how you actually did as I will do. I hope that it is not as bad as it seems for all of us!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:53 pm

This finals week was so much less stressful than my 1L. Y'all are stressing for no reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

penn278

New

Post by penn278 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:13 pm

This too shall pass.

CicerBRo

Bronze

Post by CicerBRo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:25 pm

It's 2L. Enough said.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:29 pm

if your school is anything like mine, then your peers don't care about their 2l grades (I don't)... calm down.

ellewoods123

Bronze

Post by ellewoods123 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:35 am

Update: received my first grade back on the hardest exam I took and the one that caused me to literally consider other career paths as I was sure I was failing out.

I got a B.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:39 am

Transfers at our school have to "start over" basically on the curve, and my impression is they worked way more than I did as a 2L. They're still here, so I can only assume that anxiety worked out for them.

thisismyname

New

Post by thisismyname » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm late to this... But I thought I'd add my experience. Transferred about 50 spots from T2 to T1. I never knew if it was just going from 1L to 2L year, but everyone just seemed smarter when I transferred. There were literally people at my T2 school that made me want to repeatedly slam my head against the wall whenever they talked. Just finished my last exam and I feel fine about all but one of my exams. However, I'm just worried that (1) I took too many classes with finals this year (5 finals...) and (2) I seriously slacked this year in studying all around, and then adding both of those together plus the jump in ranking, that I am going to do much worse this semester. I transferred in top 15% from my T2. I guess I'm just hoping to stay around the curve and maybe be in the top 1/3rd after this semester. We'll see. Keep me updated how you guys do!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:56 am

ellewoods123 wrote:Update: received my first grade back on the hardest exam I took and the one that caused me to literally consider other career paths as I was sure I was failing out.

I got a B.

That is great! Good job!

I also have gotten a grade back since last posting. Ironically it was also for the exam I thought I did worst on, I literally didn't know anything on the exam 100%, and needless to say I was terrified of the grade.

I got a B+!

So far so good, I'll report back when I know more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:57 am

thisismyname wrote:I'm late to this... But I thought I'd add my experience. Transferred about 50 spots from T2 to T1. I never knew if it was just going from 1L to 2L year, but everyone just seemed smarter when I transferred. There were literally people at my T2 school that made me want to repeatedly slam my head against the wall whenever they talked. Just finished my last exam and I feel fine about all but one of my exams. However, I'm just worried that (1) I took too many classes with finals this year (5 finals...) and (2) I seriously slacked this year in studying all around, and then adding both of those together plus the jump in ranking, that I am going to do much worse this semester. I transferred in top 15% from my T2. I guess I'm just hoping to stay around the curve and maybe be in the top 1/3rd after this semester. We'll see. Keep me updated how you guys do!

I feel like I slacked a lot this exam cycle as well. Be sure to update us once you know more about your grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thisismyname

New

Post by thisismyname » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thisismyname wrote:I'm late to this... But I thought I'd add my experience. Transferred about 50 spots from T2 to T1. I never knew if it was just going from 1L to 2L year, but everyone just seemed smarter when I transferred. There were literally people at my T2 school that made me want to repeatedly slam my head against the wall whenever they talked. Just finished my last exam and I feel fine about all but one of my exams. However, I'm just worried that (1) I took too many classes with finals this year (5 finals...) and (2) I seriously slacked this year in studying all around, and then adding both of those together plus the jump in ranking, that I am going to do much worse this semester. I transferred in top 15% from my T2. I guess I'm just hoping to stay around the curve and maybe be in the top 1/3rd after this semester. We'll see. Keep me updated how you guys do!

I feel like I slacked a lot this exam cycle as well. Be sure to update us once you know more about your grades.
Well... 2 B's so far. Two classes I actually felt alright with after leaving the final. So not as well as I would have liked, but I guess it could be worse. 3 more grades left. And historically I've done better on the finals I felt worse in. There's still hope I won't drop in ranking too much.

thechinaman12

New

Post by thechinaman12 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:54 pm

I am TTTT --> T-14. I feel these exams were a bit less stressful, and in fact easier, than my previous schools exams. Anyone that gets worked up over exams will likely be worked over whatever exam it is at whatever institution you attend... if you're calm as a bomb in situation A, you likely will be in situation B as well.

thomzzz

New

Post by thomzzz » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:14 pm

Update since I just received grades. I spent all of break thinking I was going to get a call from the law school saying I failed one of my exams (Fed Income Tax was a nightmare), turned out I got a B-. Lowest grade I've ever received in law school but a far cry from failing.

Other grades were pretty mediocre. B+/A- range. Definitely lower than 1L year, which is disappointing. Working your ass off and then hitting median is a weird feeling. Oh well didn't fail.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:22 pm

thomzzz wrote:Update since I just received grades. I spent all of break thinking I was going to get a call from the law school saying I failed one of my exams (Fed Income Tax was a nightmare), turned out I got a B-. Lowest grade I've ever received in law school but a far cry from failing.

Other grades were pretty mediocre. B+/A- range. Definitely lower than 1L year, which is disappointing. Working your ass off and then hitting median is a weird feeling. Oh well didn't fail.
Sounds just like me. Transferred schools and took fed income tax first semester. Was a nightmare throughout, and I totally bombed the exam and expected some level of a C (which is as good as an F in law school). Squeaked out with a B- as well. Most of my grades at my new school were in the B/B+ range, whereas I had an A-/A average at my old school. It was a combination of the competition being tougher and me spending WAY more time on extracurriculars and clinics (I was an editor on my journal, which likely wasn't a good idea). So I ended up with much less time to study and outline and it certainly showed. But the move was still worth it I think.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thomzzz

New

Post by thomzzz » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:41 pm

But the move was still worth it I think.
I so hope this is true for me too. Still figuring it out I guess. Yeah, I feel like I spent the majority figuring out how to manage this crazy schedule with journal and internship and just being at a new harder school in general, and by the time finals came around it was just like, wtf? Hopefully things will be smoother next semester

thisismyname

New

Post by thisismyname » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:45 pm

kaiser wrote:
thomzzz wrote:Update since I just received grades. I spent all of break thinking I was going to get a call from the law school saying I failed one of my exams (Fed Income Tax was a nightmare), turned out I got a B-. Lowest grade I've ever received in law school but a far cry from failing.

Sounds just like me. Transferred schools and took fed income tax first semester. Was a nightmare throughout, and I totally bombed the exam and expected some level of a C (which is as good as an F in law school). Squeaked out with a B- as well. Most of my grades at my new school were in the B/B+ range, whereas I had an A-/A average at my old school. It was a combination of the competition being tougher and me spending WAY more time on extracurriculars and clinics (I was an editor on my journal, which likely wasn't a good idea). So I ended up with much less time to study and outline and it certainly showed. But the move was still worth it I think.
Guy's... this is terrible. I never thought I'd be so sad to see so many B's on a transcript. I came out around 40-50%. I thought I would drop a little in rank, but I was just praying it wouldn't be that much... Still no C's, so I guess it could have been worse...

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Still haven't received any grades back yet but should receive the first 2 of 4 on Monday. The anxiety from waiting so long is way worse than the stress I felt during the actual exams.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:29 pm

thisismyname wrote:
Guy's... this is terrible. I never thought I'd be so sad to see so many B's on a transcript. I came out around 40-50%. I thought I would drop a little in rank, but I was just praying it wouldn't be that much... Still no C's, so I guess it could have been worse...

I think you did pretty well, all B's is definitely decent. Are you at a T25, T10? When you say around 40-50%, are you referring to ranking in class? You are at least top half surely right? If so I think you're still good, just try to bring it up next semester of course! But no C's is certainly something to be proud of!

I have only gotten one grade back so far, it was a B+. The grades are due on Tuesday so I'll report back then and tell you all everything I got.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”