Is it really worth it? T4 to boalt Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
justgottabezen

New

Is it really worth it? T4 to boalt

Post by justgottabezen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:37 am

I was accepted to boalt but OCI did not go well and I'm afraid of being stuck with over $200k in debt with no job prospects. So far I've gotten zero callbacks and many rejections. If I don't transfer I will likely be valedictorian of my class at a tier 4, so I wonder if it's better to stay and be a big fish in a small pond. I may just be getting cold feet because I'm not a fan of Cali and I miss my family and friends back home, but still, thoughts?

Nomo

Silver

Re: Is it really worth it? T4 to boalt

Post by Nomo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:57 am

How much debt at the current school and how much debt at Boalt?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:11 am

what school r u at

how much debt will u be in if u stay

what r ur career goals

where do u want to practice

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:26 am

Same questions as Nova, but also, will Boalt's loan repayment program cover you if you strike out overall?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:40 am

You sure you're going to strike out?

Maybe try going 1 semester & mass-mailing like crazy from here on out......
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Nomo wrote:How much debt at the current school and how much debt at Boalt?

about 60,000 at current school, probably over $200,000 at boalt

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Nova wrote:what school r u at

how much debt will u be in if u stay

what r ur career goals

where do u want to practice
I don't know what kind of law I want to practice but I'm considering work as a PD. After OCI I don't know that I'd ultimately want to work at any of those firms. I don't think I'd be happy doing that kind of work. I can't rely on getting a biglaw job anyway. Although I've known of top students at my current school getting jobs at places like Greenberg and Holland and Knight.

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:13 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Same questions as Nova, but also, will Boalt's loan repayment program cover you if you strike out overall?
I don't know. That's another thing. I can never get ahold of anyone in the financial aid dept. at boalt to talk to me about their lrap. The website is not clear and the only explanations I can find are outdated.I think they altered the program within the past year or two. The admin at my school actually returns your calls and emails immediately. Maybe I'm just spoiled by small school administration, but it seems like they do not care at all about the students at boalt. Either that or they really don;t like to help transfers? I donno.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 pm

justgottabezen wrote:

1. Boalt or bust b/c 60k in debt from a TTTT is a joke.
2. Do you think anyone gives a shit that you were valedictorian of Cooley, TJSL, Nova, or whatever ?
3. LJL at not liking Cali.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:32 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
justgottabezen wrote:
2. Do you think anyone gives a shit that you were valedictorian of Cooley, TJSL, Nova, or whatever ?
I appreciate your opinion but I think you're exaggerating a bit.
1. 60k is living expenses for three years. I'm paying at least that anywhere.
2. yes
3. Every person I've interacted with has been pretentious and snooty. Its impossible to find housing unless you've got months to look or 2k a month to spend on rent. Career services at boalt is a joke. No one is available most of the time and when they are they give you the most generic responses of life. That actually applies across the board, not just to career services.

At my current school I'd have tuition basically free, but at boalt I'm paying sticker. Didn't you say you'd never pay sticker?

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:36 pm

justgottabezen wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
justgottabezen wrote:
I appreciate your opinion but I think you're exaggerating a bit.
2. yes
3. Every person I've interacted with has been pretentious and snooty. Its impossible to find housing unless you've got months to look or 2k a month to spend on rent. Career services at boalt is a joke. No one is available most of the time and when they are they give you the most generic responses of life. That actually applies across the board, not just to career services.

At my current school I'd have tuition basically free, but at boalt I'm paying sticker. Didn't you say you'd never pay sticker?
Sticker at Boalt probably leaves you in a better situation than $60k at a T4. Or you could just drop out and not give into the sunk costs mentality.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:29 pm

You'll only be paying 2 years of sticker at Boalt and come out with 160k + the current 20k ish of debt so it's not "true" sticker. Still absurdly expensive though.

FWIW, I think you should go Boalt. Sounds like you're a little bummed at not doing well at OCI but how would going back to the T4 now help with your summer job prospects?

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:42 pm

It seems to me that because Boalt's lrap is tied to IBR the most money Boalt would ever provide is around $3000. Its probably worth it to do some actual math, but I think that's a pretty good estimate. The real reason your debt payments are small on boalt's LRAP is that IBR is making them small. Really small. Like way smaller than the interest you are accruing.

Is 2-3k per year really worth adding all that debt? I don't think so. There might be other reasons to attend Boalt, but lrap's that integrate with IBR really don't give you all that much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:38 pm

justgottabezen wrote: I appreciate your opinion but I think you're exaggerating a bit.
2. yes

1. Debt is debt, it doesn't matter whether it's for COL or tuition. My point was that there is a stronger argument for taking out 200k in debt for Boalt than 60k for a T4.
ymmv wrote: Sticker at Boalt probably leaves you in a better situation than $60k at a T4. Or you could just drop out and not give into the sunk costs mentality.
2. I'm not sure this is worth debating
3. I think you're exaggerating a bit. If everyone you met was pretentious and snooty, you haven't met enough people. If you need advice re: housing, pm me bc that's just not true. I don't go to Boalt, so I can't comment on career services.

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:48 pm

pancakes3 wrote:You'll only be paying 2 years of sticker at Boalt and come out with 160k + the current 20k ish of debt so it's not "true" sticker. Still absurdly expensive though.

FWIW, I think you should go Boalt. Sounds like you're a little bummed at not doing well at OCI but how would going back to the T4 now help with your summer job prospects?
I'm not from Cali and don't know anyone. Back home I have a network, and I could probably get a job if I spend the next two years networking there. That's my logic I guess.

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:57 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
justgottabezen wrote: I appreciate your opinion but I think you're exaggerating a bit.
2. yes

1. Debt is debt, it doesn't matter whether it's for COL or tuition. My point was that there is a stronger argument for taking out 200k in debt for Boalt than 60k for a T4.
What if I'm 200k in debt and unemployed? I'm not really wanting to get a biglaw job. I think I would have to if I wanted to pay off 200k though. If I go back to my tier 4 I can always get a job back home as a PD. That's not going to do much for me if I'm 200k in debt, but it wouldn't be awful if I was only 60k in the hole. The job market isn't awesome no matter where you go, right?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:46 pm

justgottabezen wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
2. yes

What if I'm 200k in debt and unemployed? I'm not really wanting to get a biglaw job. I think I would have to if I wanted to pay off 200k though. If I go back to my tier 4 I can always get a job back home as a PD. That's not going to do much for me if I'm 200k in debt, but it wouldn't be awful if I was only 60k in the hole. The job market isn't awesome no matter where you go, right?
How are you so sure you can get a job as a PD? A lot of law students (and lay people) think of PD as being a back-up job that can easily be obtained and there are a lot of variables that make that not the case (mainly funding and timing).

If you are 100% sure that you can become a PD and that is what you want to do, then you should stick with your TTTT and it really isn't a dilemma. But Gov't gigs like PDs are virtually never a sure thing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Charger

Bronze

Post by Charger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:26 am

Genuine question: is it even possible to go back to your old school without incurring any costs at Berkeley? If not, what costs will be lost? I think that's something to think about. If they're not willing to refund tuition for fall and/or the entire 2L year, then wtf is the point of leaving.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Transfer.

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Transfer and don't look back. Franky, your job prospect at your old school, even at the very top are scary and your grades can (and often do) slip. No, I'm not saying you'll all of a sudden be a median student but how comfortable if you slip to just outside the top 10% at your current school (very possible)? Bite the bullet and transfer then massmail the shit out of your top markets.

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:38 pm

deadpanic wrote:
justgottabezen wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
2. yes

How are you so sure you can get a job as a PD? A lot of law students (and lay people) think of PD as being a back-up job that can easily be obtained and there are a lot of variables that make that not the case (mainly funding and timing).

If you are 100% sure that you can become a PD and that is what you want to do, then you should stick with your TTTT and it really isn't a dilemma. But Gov't gigs like PDs are virtually never a sure thing.

Yea, I know because I have personal connections back home.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justgottabezen

New

Post by justgottabezen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Charger wrote:Genuine question: is it even possible to go back to your old school without incurring any costs at Berkeley? If not, what costs will be lost? I think that's something to think about. If they're not willing to refund tuition for fall and/or the entire 2L year, then wtf is the point of leaving.
Classes haven't started yet and I'm not registered, so I don't see why not. Good thinking though.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:34 pm

justgottabezen wrote:
Charger wrote:Genuine question: is it even possible to go back to your old school without incurring any costs at Berkeley? If not, what costs will be lost? I think that's something to think about. If they're not willing to refund tuition for fall and/or the entire 2L year, then wtf is the point of leaving.
Classes haven't started yet and I'm not registered, so I don't see why not. Good thinking though.
Cool, just chill at your T4 then. Ignore everyone's advice. Clearly, you're seeking validation for your decision not to transfer. No one is going to give you that since it's an objectively TERRIBLE decision.

jess

Post by jess » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:26 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:47 am

Jessuf wrote:People from my old school with horrible ranks got jobs (jobs id love to have)
There are a TON of other factors at play here. Connections etc...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”