Philly to Baltimore? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Philly to Baltimore?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:12 pm

Top 20% at one of the TTTs in Philadelphia. Family and friends all live in the Baltimore area. I chose the school in Philly because it offered me the most $$$$ and I didn't think moving to Philly would be too much of a hassle. After spending a year there, I've been thinking about applying to transfer to UMD or UBalt to get back to Baltimore.

I'm really torn though. Part of me wants to stay at my current school because of my scholarship, but part of me wants to be in Maryland simply because I'm more comfortable there. I'm not really looking to transfer in hopes of attending a higher quality school, I'm just thinking I'd be happier attending school in Maryland. I'd be looking to transfer in the Spring of 2015.

Do you think I should just stick it out in Philly and save $ or should I try to get back to Maryland and potentially pay sticker at UMD or Baltimore (which is frustrating because I got into both schools as an 0L with $)

ilikebaseball

Gold

Re: Philly to Baltimore?

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:13 pm

let me know how this goes. I wanna go to UMD too. Don't go to Ubalt though...

andygreen12

New

Post by andygreen12 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:44 pm

I would say that you should stick it out. If you have ties in the Md area, then you will be fine and be able to get a job there after graduation. You can also work in that area over the summers. This way, you are only in Philly for the next 4 school semesters, but you will be in Md for however long you want after graduation and you can work in any field without worrying about trying to pay your high loans.

That is just my 2 cents, but it depends on how home sick you are and if it is affecting your grades or not. If it isn't affecting your grades and you have ties to Md so that you can get a job there when you graduate, then if I were you, I'd stick at my school in Philly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:33 pm

OP here--thanks for the responses. Would your answer change if I told you that because of my financial situation, I wouldn't go into debt if I decided to transfer? There is money available to me (I'm very fortunate), and I would use that to pay the transfer tuition. But, part of the reason I chose the Philly school was because of the scholarship, I didn't need to use that money for law school and could use it elsewhere in life.

So if I stayed in Philly, I would have this money at my disposal post graduation. Whereas if I transferred to UMD, I wouldn't have gone into debt, but I'd have way less money to use. I know I'm fortunate, but I'm very conscious about how I want to use this money.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:39 pm

What makes you think you could transfer in Spring 2015?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:41 pm

OP: according to UMD 's policies, they take spring transfers as long as you're not over some amount of credits..which I won't be.

Unless you know something I don't...which would nicely end this whole debate I'm having

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”