Top 10% at Georgetown - any chance at HYS/CCN? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mez4083

New

Top 10% at Georgetown - any chance at HYS/CCN?

Post by mez4083 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Not sure whether I am ranked top 10% or top 5%. My GPA is 0.13 higher than the 10% line.
Any chance at HYS/CCN? Goals at NYC big law firms.

bsf2344

New

Re: Top 10% at Georgetown - any chance at HYS/CCN?

Post by bsf2344 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:08 pm

how do you know the honors? they won't be released until late june/july

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Top 10% at GULC should blanket CCNHYS.

Rangers5

New

Post by Rangers5 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Out of curiosity, is it even worth transferring? I could be mistaken here but shouldn't top 5% - 10% at GTown put you in a great situation for NYC Big Law?

mtn663

New

Post by mtn663 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Rangers5 wrote:Out of curiosity, is it even worth transferring? I could be mistaken here but shouldn't top 5% - 10% at GTown put you in a great situation for NYC Big Law?
Yes. OP, I think you'd probably be in at C/N, but if you're getting any $$ at GULC then the transfer doesn't really make sense. H could actually end up being cheaper (if you have small scholly and would get need-based aid) but your odds there depend on exactly where you sit in the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Pretty much a lock at CN. Top 5% is probs in at H with a chance at YS, but you never know with those schools because they have such small transfer classes. Top 10% still stands a decent chance at H but likely out at YS.

With a GPA 0.13 higher than the 10% line, you sound like you're top 5%.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:43 pm

There's virtually no situation where this transfer makes sense. There aren't any firms that you can't get to from GULC and you're not going to improve your clerkship chances meaningfully.

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:32 pm

If you are top 5% couldn't you actually hurt yourself by transferring? People rag on Georgetown here but it seems like if you are top 5% you'd be making a mistake to transfer somewhere where you would have more competition for the same jobs you can already get from georgetown.

mez4083

New

Post by mez4083 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:10 pm

bsf2344 wrote:how do you know the honors? they won't be released until late june/july
Based on last year's line - sorry did not clarify that in the post. Just needed to have a basis to make the transfer decision. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mez4083

New

Post by mez4083 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:15 pm

Rangers5 wrote:Out of curiosity, is it even worth transferring? I could be mistaken here but shouldn't top 5% - 10% at GTown put you in a great situation for NYC Big Law?
Yes I was wondering that either...I want to go to NYC for personal reasons, and for H and Y, it's solely based on their prestige. But it is still hard to make that decision for now...

mez4083

New

Post by mez4083 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Nelson wrote:There's virtually no situation where this transfer makes sense. There aren't any firms that you can't get to from GULC and you're not going to improve your clerkship chances meaningfully.
Thanks. Clerkship chance would not bother me since I was not targeting at that. But would doing oci in NYC brings a better chance at higher-ranked firms?

mez4083

New

Post by mez4083 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:38 pm

mtn663 wrote:
Yes. OP, I think you'd probably be in at C/N, but if you're getting any $$ at GULC then the transfer doesn't really make sense. H could actually end up being cheaper (if you have small scholly and would get need-based aid) but your odds there depend on exactly where you sit in the class.
Thanks. I do have $$ from GULC, and it sounds really silly to consider transfer. There are personal reasons to go to NYC - sorry did not clarify that in the post. As to H and Y, is it worthwhile to try for their prestige? Also I think if I finally get into H and Y, big laws should not be a problem..

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:39 pm

mez4083 wrote:
mtn663 wrote:
Thanks. I do have $$ from GULC, and it sounds really silly to consider transfer. There are personal reasons to go to NYC - sorry did not clarify that in the post. As to H and Y, is it worthwhile to try for their prestige? Also I think if I finally get into H and Y, big laws should not be a problem..
It won't be a problem if you stay at GULC either. It might be worth applying HYS just to see how much need aid you get though. If it's a wash, I guess why not?

mtn663

New

Post by mtn663 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:56 pm

mez4083 wrote:
mtn663 wrote:
Sure it's worth trying H/Y if you want. Biglaw doesn't matter either way for the most part, though at H/C/N you might have a bit more luck at V5 firms that hire more from T6. Y also, I'm just more skeptical that you'll get into Y (they take a much much smaller transfer class and have the same holistic review that they do in the first instance, and I'm assuming your grades aren't top-top) but if you're going to do transfer apps and don't mind writing the 250 might as well give it a shot. I'm less familiar with S but if you want NYC biglaw not sure why you would do this--H is easier to get in anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”