Now what do I do? Mercer Top 10% Transfer to Emory? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Now what do I do? Mercer Top 10% Transfer to Emory?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Well, I applied two days ago, and tonight got a phone call from admissions that I've been accepted to transfer to Emory. I didn't expect such a fast response. I wanted an option in case I definitely didn't get on law review, and also I just wanted to see if I'd get in.

Mercer:
top 10% (maybe I can reach top 5% by end of graduation)
Leadership roles in student orgs
95% shot at moot court and/or mock trial (I prefer moot, did well in 1L competition)
1 in 5 chance of law review, and grades are weighted in competition, so I have some advantage over lower ranked folks
Won't know about law review till mid July though.
70k cheaper for last 2 years than Emory due to scholarship
Federal level internship for 1L summer.

I want to stay in Georgia, unless I have to move. I have no special preference for employment, perhaps big law or employment/labor. I plan on interning in a large firm 2L summer and doing criminal work during the year to see how that fits. My best courses were Contracts 1 &2, Civil Procedure, and Legal Research. I want to maximize my ROI (as much as is possible of course) and get the best chance of legal employment.

holepunch

New

Re: Now what do I do? Mercer Top 10% Transfer to Emory?

Post by holepunch » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:49 am

Are you an URM?

When is your deposit due?

You should be able to renegotiate scholarship money with Mercer by leveraging the acceptance.

masterdisaster

New

Post by masterdisaster » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:25 am

Last edited by masterdisaster on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:08 pm

holepunch wrote:Are you an URM?

When is your deposit due?

You should be able to renegotiate scholarship money with Mercer by leveraging the acceptance.

No.

6/23

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:42 pm

Why not UGA over Emory for a fraction of the cost if you want to stay in GA and have ties?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:48 pm

sundontshine wrote:Why not UGA over Emory for a fraction of the cost if you want to stay in GA and have ties?
+100000000000

BamaLaw

New

Post by BamaLaw » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:23 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]Well, I applied two days ago, and tonight got a phone call from admissions that I've been accepted to transfer to Emory. I didn't expect such a fast response. I wanted an option in case I definitely didn't get on law review, and also I just wanted to see if I'd get in.

Mercer:
95% shot at moot court and/or mock trial (I prefer moot, did well in 1L competition)
1 in 5 chance of law review, and grades are weighted in competition, so I have some advantage over lower ranked folks

I want to stay in Georgia, unless I have to move. I have no special preference for employment, perhaps big law or employment/labor. I plan on interning in a large firm 2L summer and doing criminal work during the year to see how that fits. My best courses were Contracts 1 &2, Civil Procedure, and Legal Research. I want to maximize my ROI (as much as is possible of course) and get the best chance of legal employment
Last edited by BamaLaw on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
sundontshine wrote:Why not UGA over Emory for a fraction of the cost if you want to stay in GA and have ties?
+100000000000

holepunch

New

Post by holepunch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 pm

BamaLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well, I applied two days ago, and tonight got a phone call from admissions that I've been accepted to transfer to Emory. I didn't expect such a fast response. I wanted an option in case I definitely didn't get on law review, and also I just wanted to see if I'd get in.

Mercer:

I want to stay in Georgia, unless I have to move. I have no special preference for employment, perhaps big law or employment/labor. I plan on interning in a large firm 2L summer and doing criminal work during the year to see how that fits. My best courses were Contracts 1 &2, Civil Procedure, and Legal Research. I want to maximize my ROI (as much as is possible of course) and get the best chance of legal employment.

Sweet baby jesus you are now a bigger hero to me than Ironman and Optimus Prime combined. How did you land a federal internship at Mercer???
If it was a judicial internship and I had to guess, I would say it was for a Bankruptcy or Magistrate Judge.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”