Transfer from a T2 or stay? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer from a T2 or stay?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:43 pm

I'm at a CA TT. 4.2 GPA. Booked two classes. Rank hasn't been released yet, but based on the numbers from the past few years, I'll be in the top 5% if not close to the top of the class. Have a 3/4 scholarship and per a conversation with the dean of financial aid, the top 5% of the class gets bumped up to full scholarship after 1L.

Want to live and practice in CA when I'm done with school, though I do have ties to the northeast. Biglaw interests me for the salary and the connections, but I don't think I'd want to make it a career and I'm also unsure if I want to work those hours day in and day out. So I guess I'd say I'm open to Biglaw, but I don't necessarily want to need Biglaw.

Part of me has always really wanted a degree from a top school, but the other part of me is terrified of the debt that would entail and having no choice but to need to do Biglaw to service that debt. Total COA from my school: 1) If bumped up to full scholarship: $50-60K; 2) If scholarship stays the same: $90-100K

So, TLS, would it be worth it to send out a couple transfer applications to see what happens? I don't think I'd be interested in applying to the lower T14 b/c I doubt I'd go even if admitted (fear of debt, again). But what about HYSCCN? Would I have any chance at all of getting in and would it be worth taking on that extra debt for one of those schools? Or should I just stay put?

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Transfer from a T2 or stay?

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:24 pm

first, congrats on killing it.

TLDR: YHS, Bezerkley or bust on transferring if you want to practice in California

CCN are going to send people to California, but not nearly with the success rates of the schools above. Plus, you'll have to answer the question "Why did you leave California if you wanted to practice here after LS?". Which is fine if you get to answer it and have a legitimate reason. But often that question is asked rhetorically by someone who's screening resumes and you won't get the chance to answer.

I think your hunch on the lower T14. They're fine schools for a lot of people under a lot of circumstances. But probably not for someone where you're at with your rank and career goals.

bnghle234

Bronze

Post by bnghle234 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:30 am

4.2??? Man, what a curve!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:35 am

Transfer. HYS and Berkeley. One of those four will accept you. Berkeley is your best bet and may actually be your best bet in regard to Cali BigLaw as well. You'd have to try to not get accepted.

rogerrogerson

New

Post by rogerrogerson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:58 am

Transfer. I second the HYS Berkeley... might as well sent USC and UCLA one too. You will make the money back, do not fear the debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:40 am

OP here. Thanks for the advice so far, everyone, and for the congrats, patrickd. I worked my ass off this year and I'm glad it paid off.

The consensus seems to be no CCN for CA (which was kinda my thought, anyway) and to also consider Berk as well as HYS. I was thinking about Berk before all my grades came out, but decided against applying b/c I wasn't sure if the debt I'd have to take on to attend would make Biglaw a foregone conclusion. Granted, debt from HYS would do the same, but other posts I've read on this site seem to reach to reach the same verdict that the doors opened by HYS are worth the two extra years of debt and the reliance on Biglaw.

Berk is an awesome school and the possibility of going there certainly intrigues me. I'm just torn about turning down a ton of free money to do so. Thoughts?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Do you know what you want to do? Anything short of a public defender will be made easier and more profitable with a Berkeley JD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:24 pm

OP. I'd like to do IP / Media litigation and eventually end up in-house doing related work. I get that Biglaw is probably the way to get that, but I just don't want to be handcuffed to Biglaw forever by debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”