Which schools should I apply to? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which schools should I apply to?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Just got my grades back and am somewhat disappointed. I ended up with a 3.82 - putting me either barely out of the top 10% or barely in. I am a CA resident and my current school is ranked in the lower 80's. I want to practice in either DC, NY, SF, or LA. I would like to land a SA position for next summer (Big Law and a Federal Clerkship after graduation). Eventually, I want to transition into Government work. Which highly ranked schools would I have the best chance of getting into? Thanks!

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Re: Which schools should I apply to?

Post by eastcoast_iub » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:17 pm

Apply to UM, NU, and Georgetown. Anything above that is a reach. Top 10% will matter as well - inside that mark will help you a lot. DC will be very tough, since you would be competing with kids with similar GPAs who are already at T14s. I'd mail LA + SF b/c of your ties, but mostly focus on NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Any shot at Berkeley, Penn or NYU?

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:54 pm

I highly doubt it. I think you would need closer to top 5% to be in there (and at Penn and NYU). General consensus is you need at least top 10% from T1 at these schools and top 5% from T2.

I finished ~12% at a T30 (then T25) and was rejected at Penn, NYU, and Columbia and accepted at UM and NU. Know another guy from my school same year who was just inside top 10% and got accepted at Columbia. Also know of someone the year before at my same school who was also ~12% and got accepted, but he was from PA, wanted to practice there, and had a compelling personal statement explaining this.

You could maybe throw an app at Berkeley b/c of your CA ties, but I wouldn't be super-optimistic.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 am

Other than the aforementioned schools (GULC, NU, UM), do apply to Berkeley. Being a CA resident helps a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Looks like I am top 10%! So GULC, NU, UM, UCLA and maybe Berkeley and NYU?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like I am top 10%! So GULC, NU, UM, UCLA, Berkeley, and NYU
Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”