Transferring - Not Receiving Scholarship = DEATH? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Is transferring a bad idea?

1.) T1 or T2 --> T14 (Good Idea)
33%
2.) T1 or T2 --> T14 (Bad Idea)
10%
3.) T3 or T4 --> T14 (Good Idea)
53%
4.) T3 or T4 --> T14 (Bad Idea)
3%

Total votes: 30

Anonymous User

Transferring - Not Receiving Scholarship = DEATH?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:13 am

So, as usual, many of us are applying to transfer into the T14 for next fall.

However, the general consensus is that it is "retarded"/"financial suicide" to go to many of the T14's with no scholarship, which is exactly the situation almost all of us transfers will be facing.

Therefore, my question is: Is it better to remain top 1-5% at T1, T2, T3, or T4 with a scholarship (>50%), or to transfer into the T14 for increased employment prospects upon graduation?

Note: Do not count in HYS in the T14 calculus for these purposes because I am sure almost anyone would succeed from those schools due to connections and reputation alone.

* You can vote twice

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: Transferring - Not Receiving Scholarship = DEATH?

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:47 am

as long as your current position puts you in a good place for your career goals, probably a bad idea to transfer. But most T3's and T4's don't put you in that position, so personally i think it's a good idea to transfer from those schools. Also depends on debt...if you're already paying sticker then i don't see the problem with paying the same money for a better degree.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:54 am

Whether or not transferring is a good idea varies a lot with each person, so a general poll isn't going to give you anything useful.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Poll should have been like this

1.) T1 --> T14 (Good Idea)
2.) T1 --> T14 (Bad Idea)
3.) T2 or T3 or T4 --> T14 (Good Idea)
4.) T2 or T3 or T4 --> T14 (Bad Idea)

I'd vote (3), and maybe for (2).

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:00 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

csfm94102

New

Post by csfm94102 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Jumping in here! I played the transfer game last year and gave up a full-ride scholarship offer from a low T-2 (now T-3 according to this year's USNW rankings) to transfer to a T-10. Transferring remains, hands down, the best decisions I have ever made (for quite a few reasons I'm happy to go into if you want to PM me).

My understanding is that the "don't go to a T-14 without a scholarship" advice is grounded in the assumption that you'll end up around median at whatever school you attend. As a transfer the general consensus, and I say general consensus because there is A LOT of debate surrounding this, is that employers will look at you as though you were sitting in the top third-ish of the class at your transfer school. At most (any??) T-14 top 1/3 of the class should set you up pretty well to land biglaw.

Also, many who transferred (though I know not all), came from 1L schools where we had some kind of scholarship. As a result, you're only taking on 2 years at sticker, not 3, which makes a roughly 50k difference in cost of attendance.

If you're at a school where the firms you want will look at you with your class rank, it may not be worth transferring (I wasn't). As others have said it's very situation dependent, and I think most of us who transferred last year are happy to talk you (or anyone else) through the decision once you know what your options are.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:38 am

I was awarded $50k ($25k/year) at GULC as a transfer. It was need-based, or so they say. Regardless, my COA is down $5k over the next two years due to that financial aid. The T2 gave me no-love in the financial aid category--haha. So it’s possible that some transfers can get some money, and if they're lucky transferring actually saves them money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”