Top 5% at Cornell - Transfer to Harvard/Yale/Columbia? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 5% at Cornell - Transfer to Harvard/Yale/Columbia?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

toothbrush

Gold

Re: Top 5% at Cornell - Transfer to Harvard/Yale/Columbia?

Post by toothbrush » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Conventional TLS wisdom would say you need top ~10% to get into Harvard and similar, but obviously dipping lower, for Columbia. I'd venture to guess you'll get accepted there. Yale is a bit more of a black box because of a much smaller sample on both ends. What sort of softs do you have that may make you look more attractive?

Also, the difference between Bos - Nyc or Ithaca - Nyc or Ith - Bos is fairly comparable. I say that because if you really want to be closer to family, why not just Columbia? Or if you're from Boston, why not just Harvard?

Last, do you have any scholly? If you're getting money at Cornell then again the conventional wisdom would suggest Cornell +top % is better than H.

Oh, and do you want NYC big law? If so, most firms come to Cornell's OCI or you can snag a screener on your own with your grades. Unless you want something more prestigious down the line, the extra prestige from HYC probably don't effect too much for big law.

wpi17

New

Post by wpi17 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:14 pm

wrong thread
Last edited by wpi17 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:18 pm

What does it really mean to lose top 5%? I'm not asking rhetorically. I'm asking because it's not particularly clear to me what the cost/benefit analysis is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:30 pm

I think you've got a good shot at H, and an outside shot at Y.

Honestly, just do some research into this forum and you'll find a lot of people and data for your situation

Lastly, as someone who frequents this forum often, I just have to say that there have been a LOT of top 1-5% cornell people recently seeking to transfer out to HYS...not sure why this is, but Cornell is certainly overrepresented in terms of the # of students inquiring about transfer on TLS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:32 pm

The personal reasons might be compelling, but I think it's a wash professionally. What firm will take a top 5% Cornell -> Harvard transfer but not top 5% at Cornell that won't expect you to do a clerkship? Basically just WLRK. What do you want to do with your life? Lit/corp/regulatory?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:07 pm

rayiner wrote:The personal reasons might be compelling, but I think it's a wash professionally. What firm will take a top 5% Cornell -> Harvard transfer but not top 5% at Cornell that won't expect you to do a clerkship? Basically just WLRK. What do you want to do with your life? Lit/corp/regulatory?
This. I'd make the decision based on $$ and personal reasons. Career-wise, the only difference is an abstract "prestige" gain at some point down the road. Practically, at OCI, it likely won't matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Couples of questions..Just curious.. why were you originally looking only at CLS and not NYU if your main reason for transferring was to be in the city? Also, if your family and SO are in NYC and you want to be close to them now, why are you more interested in working in DC than NYC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”