Top 3% at lower T-14...transfer to Stanford? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay or go...

Stay
50%
Transfer to Stanford
50%

Total votes: 32

Anonymous User

Top 3% at lower T-14...transfer to Stanford?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:27 pm

I'll keep this brief.

Currently top 3% at a lower t-14. Medium scholarship. Have a summer 1L SA lined up in CA, and goal is to practice in CA long term.

Stanford was always the ideal and I would love to be back in CA, but at this point I'm not sure if it makes any sense. Is intra-T-14 transferring generally a bad move if corporate work is the aim? And are there any jobs outside of academia (think: higher end boutique firms) that are accessible from Stanford and not from the top of a t-14?

Balancing the desire to be at Stanford against lost scholarship. Hoping it's mitigated by ay increase in future earnings potential, but if no increase exists, the move may be hard to justify.

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Top 3% at lower T-14...transfer to Stanford?

Post by Tanicius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll keep this brief.

Currently top 3% at a lower t-14. Medium scholarship. Have a summer 1L SA lined up in CA, and goal is to practice in CA long term.

Stanford was always the ideal and I would love to be back in CA, but at this point I'm not sure if it makes any sense. Is intra-T-14 transferring generally a bad move if corporate work is the aim? And are there any jobs outside of academia (think: higher end boutique firms) that are accessible from Stanford and not from the top of a t-14?

Balancing the desire to be at Stanford against lost scholarship. Hoping it's mitigated by ay increase in future earnings potential, but if no increase exists, the move may be hard to justify.
If you're not from a California T-14, then transferring to Stanford could foreseeably help nab Munger or Keker, but that's the only big firm bump you're reasonably likely to get at this point. If you want to be a law professor, that's one thing, but otherwise you're not going to experience much of a professional edge. If you lose out on scholarship money I definitely wouldn't move.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm

I don't know about Keker, but Munger is definitely achievable from top 3% at lower T14. If you can keep up the grades, transferring might be a net loss if you lose law review or good connections to professors. And if you don't keep it up, it might be preferable to graduate top 1/3 from SLS rather than a lower T-14, but elite jobs will be out of play then, even from Stanford.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Sorry I should have been more clear, but the eventual aim is for LA (strong ties) rather than SF. And also leaning away from litigation so MTO and Keker don't play much into future plans.

Seems like there's really not much to gain then, other than the ability to live in CA during school. Unless I'm missing something.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:58 pm

Probably makes sense to transfer if your grades drop a ways but you can still get in. If you stay up in the top 10% you are very likely to get a CA firm job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:28 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Probably makes sense to transfer if your grades drop a ways but you can still get in. If you stay up in the top 10% you are very likely to get a CA firm job.
Gracias for the feedback.

Interesting to see the poll results, considering the lost scholarship and potential loss of LR.

I guess I'll go ahead an put in an application.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Probably makes sense to transfer if your grades drop a ways but you can still get in. If you stay up in the top 10% you are very likely to get a CA firm job.

Interesting to see the poll results, considering the lost scholarship and potential loss of LR.

apply>get in>negotiate increased scholly at your current school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:38 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

apply>get in>negotiate increased scholly at your current school.
Honestly curious--does this type of gun to the head negotiation actually work or is this just based on hear-say?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:42 pm

It definitely works outside of the T14. I don't know if any schools in the T14 actually do it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:It definitely works outside of the T14. I don't know if any schools in the T14 actually do it though.
Good to know. Thanks. My school was also decidedly hard-ass about pre-enrollment negotiation so something leads me to believe that trend would continue.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I'll go ahead an put in an application.
Nice hypothetical.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”