Penn Law Review v. Harvard Law Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

If I make Penn Law Review should I

Stay at Penn, do Law Review
93%
Transfer to Harvard
7%

Total votes: 46

Anonymous User

Penn Law Review v. Harvard Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm a 1L at Penn with grades near the top of the class (~top five percent). I think I have a strong chance to make law review, which would obviously be a great credential and an enriching experience. I'm also considering throwing up a transfer application to HLS.

Which would look more prestigious on the resume and give me the best shot at a COA clerkship at graduation and DOJ or AUSA in the medium-term? 1L summer will be major city DA office, if relevant.

badaboom61

Bronze

Re: Penn Law Review v. Harvard Law

Post by badaboom61 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Penn law review will put you a better (or at least comparable) position than a typical transfer student at Harvard. The same might not be true at Yale, but certainly at H. You also have networks / connections from doing 1L there. Stay at Penn. If you're not on scholarship, you should try to leverage your transfer prospects to get some.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:19 pm

badaboom61 wrote:Stay at Penn. If you're not on scholarship, you should try to leverage your transfer prospects to get some.
Agreed.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Last edited by Nelson on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:00 pm

I agree with the above.

However, Stanford and Yale place better statistically in FedClerk.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/c ... clerkships

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:07 pm

You can write-on to H's LR, so there's that. Also, does Penn's LR guarantee a number of spots for grade-ons?

Clerkship apps suck for transfers because you don't have that much time to secure LoRs from profs. If you transfer, ideally you should have 1 Penn tenured professor's letter, 2 from H, and probably one from your 1L summer gig. If you can't secure those two H letters, you're going to have a hard time getting interviews.

ThreeSixTwo

New

Post by ThreeSixTwo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Stay at Penn. People at the top of the class at Penn regularly get COA clerkships, including feeders.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:41 am

I don't think there are many jobs you can't get with Top 5% from Penn that Harvard would open up.

7ED

Bronze

Post by 7ED » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:51 am

If you are set on moving, though, I can say that the transfers this year have really been killing it both in terms of grades, EIP performance, and clerkships for those who applied.

mtn663

New

Post by mtn663 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:30 am

I thought about this a couple years ago from a not-quite-as-good position at CCN. a few things to consider:

if you repeat your grades you'd almost certainly get H and an application to Y wouldn't be a waste of money, especially with strong recommendations. note HLS requires potential transfers to write on at the same time as everyone else, so that's a huge pain (if I recall correctly both S and Y reserve spots for transfer competition).

on the clerking issue, maybe it would affect you, maybe not. I'm not sure why you couldn't get two good recs developed during your fall semester. also my professors at CCN were entirely understanding and I'm sure still would have written for me had I ended up deciding to transfer. at any rate, if you're going the firm route, I'd think most (though I know not all) firms would be ok with you clerking one year out if it didn't work out for 2015-16 for some reason.

if you want DC, that might weigh towards transferring. HLS EIP has far and away more spots for DC firms than did my CCN (I was quite surprised when I saw the numbers) and I gather that DC firm standards are a bit more relaxed for HLS students. but very hard to say whether individual outcomes would be hugely different.

all that said, it's rare to see many T14 students transferring to HLS, because those that can don't have much reason to; I think there's <10 per year. this is especially true if you'd be leaving a big scholly behind and wouldn't get much need-based aid. if that's the case, probably not worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”