William & Mary Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

William & Mary Transfer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Does anyone know how difficult it is to transfer to William & Mary (for non-VA residents)?

Nebby

Diamond

Re: William & Mary Transfer

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how difficult it is to transfer to William & Mary (for non-VA residents)?
What are your stats? Class rank? School rank/tier?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:40 am

Hopefully will be top 10% at a school that tanked in the USNWR rankings (lower T2) - want to work for federal government

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hopefully will be top 10% at a school that tanked in the USNWR rankings (lower T2) - want to work for federal government
should ask after 2nd semester grades are out

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:40 am

Is there a reason you want to go to William and Mary? Seems like an odd place to transfer to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 am

Not only a strange place to transfer to but you will be at a disadvantage for OCI. You would likely be much better off staying put unless you can transfer to a T14.

Just because William & Mary jumped up in the rankings doesn't change the inherent problems of location and feeder market(s). And, as most everyone will tell you, this kind of question begs a litany of other questions such as what do you want to do, where do you want to work, current cost of attendance, etc. etc. etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:04 pm

I would love to transfer to T14 if I could, but my primary concern is getting the hell out of my current school. It has dropped almost 40 spots in the rankings since I enrolled and would effectively force me to stay in LA (with little likelihood of procuring employment). I would ultimately like to work for the federal government and have almost no geographic limitations for schools (but would like to practice on the East Coast). I was attracted to W&M because of the high percentage of graduates going into government work. Also, I've visited and went to college in a rural location and think that it would be a nice alternative to living in a major city for two years. What do you guys think my options could be?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:24 pm

I am considering UCLA and USC, but literally my entire section is trying to transfer there also (so just being broad in the interest of safety). I wouldn't mind being in either a metropolitan or rural area. For what it's worth, I'm in the top 3% now (based off of only two grades).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CaliAliLouise

New

Post by CaliAliLouise » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:42 pm

I am a 1L at W&M now and I don't know the transfer process or how difficult it is, but just a heads up our class is much larger than past classes here. If they want to maintain a smaller number, I am not sure how many transfer students they will take.

I am also from Los Angeles and really like it here. PM me if you have any questions.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It has dropped almost 40 spots in the rankings since I enrolled and would effectively force me to stay in LA (with little likelihood of procuring employment).
No school dropped that much. I believe 26 spots was the biggest drop.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:56 pm

If you don't think you can make it into a T14, then possibly George Washington would be a better BigFed route than W&M.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Whats your COA now and what would it be if you transferred?

it usually doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint to transfer from one regional school to another unless you are dying to get into the other market. & W&Ms market is Virgina, not DC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:05 pm

You should be aiming way higher than that. It won't be worth a transfer to William and Mary. If you stay in the top 10%, you should throw apps to Gtown, Northwestern, Michigan, Berkley, UCLA, USC, Vandy, and Texas. I guarantee you will get into one if not more.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:26 pm

If you want government and want to be in the DC/VA area, go to GULC or GW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Thanks guys. When I enrolled at my current law school, it was ranked #51 and now it's #87. I have no desire to remain at this school next year given the current trajectory in the rankings. Does anyone know anything about transferring to UC Irvine? How about Vanderbilt, WUSTL or Emory? I would really like to go to GULC or GW next year, but just being overly cautious given the amount of competition out there.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks guys. When I enrolled at my current law school, it was ranked #51 and now it's #87. I have no desire to remain at this school next year given the current trajectory in the rankings. Does anyone know anything about transferring to UC Irvine? How about Vanderbilt, WUSTL or Emory? I would really like to go to GULC or GW next year, but just being overly cautious given the amount of competition out there.
if you're able to maintain that 10%, I'd say don't even bother applying to those other schools. GULC is possible. GW I think you should be fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:38 pm

I assume you are at Loyola Los Angeles or a school of that pedigree. From the top 10% there, the least I would settle for would be UCLA, which you will likely get into. Again, I think you will likely get at least one t14 to bite. If you don't, you have to ask yourself whether transferring to a school like UCLA would be worth it...you might just want to apply, get in, and get scholly money from current school.
Yea, don't apply to Emory or WUSTL.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”