Negotiating Increase in Tuition Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Negotiating Increase in Tuition

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi All,

I know there was a similar topic about how it works earlier. But I was wondering if anyone had any experience going directly to the Dean before they approach you.

My situation: I am happy at my T1 that is in my preferred market. I am in the top 10% and have a good scholarship. I was planning on applying to transfer to a couple lower T14s mostly for leverage to increase my scholarship to full and then apply my one reach dream school that I probably would go no matter what. I already have LORs lined up. But I have been offered a paid TA position for next year from a professor. I don't want to screw that professor over by bailing in July. What do you all think about me potentially reaching out to the Dean and telling him my situation and seeing if he'd agree to increase my tuition before I even apply to other schools? Thanks

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Negotiating Increase in Tuition

Post by Nebby » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:34 pm

Top 10% at a T1, you could possibly transfer to Chicago, Columbia, NYU--would you really pass those up just to hassle with negotiating a scholarship at your current school? I would recommend transferring, because I think the potential long-term gains are greater with transferring to a mid-T14.

Also, I don't think you should worry a whole lot about "screwing" over the professor that offered you a paid TA position. I'm sure him or her would more than understand your desire to leave if accepted to a great school. If not, then it doesn't affect you either way.

There's a very small time-frame to negotiate scholarships with transferring due to the time-table, and I doubt the Dean will negotiate until you have an acceptance in hand. Some schools don't even try to retain students that are transferring.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”