40ish --> GULC = + $80k ? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer from 40ish to GULC and pay $80k more?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 10

chinstrap

New

40ish --> GULC = + $80k ?

Post by chinstrap » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:42 am

Looking for advice: I'm currently at school ranked around 40. If I were to transfer to GULC, I would be paying $40k more per year. All financed on loans.

Class Rank: 3/150

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: 40ish --> GULC = + $80k ?

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:46 am

No transferring to Gtown isn't worth it. Given your class rank if you keep your grades you will have other T14 options. Honestly I don't think it's worth transferring unless to a T6 at the minimum and maybe HYS.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:57 am

Career goals? Prospects at your 40ish?

You do stand a chance at higher ranked than GULC. I wouldn't bother until 2nd semester is over.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:16 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

chinstrap

New

Post by chinstrap » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:27 am

OP here. I'm most interested in working in campaign finance, election law. Narrow field, so there aren't many stats about alumni here going to the few firms that do work this work.

At the risk of giving away anonymity, current school is in the DC area.

Prospects at current school include law review, and the possibility of getting some more scholarship help.

Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:14 pm

chinstrap wrote:OP here. I'm most interested in working in campaign finance, election law. Narrow field, so there aren't many stats about alumni here going to the few firms that do work this work.

Prospects at current school include law review, and the possibility of getting some more scholarship help.

I'd transfer because American sucks.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:08 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
chinstrap wrote:OP here. I'm most interested in working in campaign finance, election law. Narrow field, so there aren't many stats about alumni here going to the few firms that do work this work.

I'd transfer because American sucks.
Unlikely to be American given the class size.

But never mind that. You seem to have targeted a tough little niche, Georgetown is obviously the big dog in town, but rumors on the site seem to indicate that those transfering in are at a disadvantage compared to those who started there. Whereas I imagine that if you were to stay near the top where you are it would at least give you some bragging rights.

Tough call, but based on what you said, I would be tempted to stick.

Good luck,

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:51 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:No transferring to Gtown isn't worth it. Given your class rank if you keep your grades you will have other T14 options. Honestly I don't think it's worth transferring unless to a T6 at the minimum and maybe HYS.
I'm obviously biased as I transferred to a T14 other than HYSCCN, but I believe that there are legitimate, and objectively wise, reasons to transfer to a school other than HYSCCN. For example, gaining access to a market you wouldn't have otherwise had access to, getting exposure to firms you wouldn't have otherwise had exposure to, and generally improving your odds and securing biglaw.

OP, is your school in your target market? How does the top of your class do with the firms you'd like to work for?
I agree with this. It's important to consider your target market and your career goals. HYS makes sense in almost all cases, but distinguishing CCN from schools like Penn or Berkeley is pretty dumb. For example, if you want California, then Berkeley > CCN.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:18 am

I actually think it's George Mason. I'd transfer because I wouldn't want to be associated with libertarianlulz.

For real though, if DC is the market you're looking for then stay where you're at and finish top 5%. Or, keep your current class rank and you have a reasonable chance at UPenn, NYU, CLS, and HLS. All of those would allow you just as much access, if not more, to the DC market when compared to Georgetown.

Whatever you decide to do. You need to have your completed UG transcripts sent to LSAC, start talking to two people for letters of rec, and start tweaking a personal statement you can adapt to different schools. Just so when it's time to transfer you have some of the work done and you'll just be waiting for final grades before you hit "send" on the applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”