Transfer or not? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer or not?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:30 pm

I am in University of Minnesota now with a full scholly, I am ranked top 30%. Should I/ Could I transfer to U of M ?

Nova

Platinum

Re: Transfer or not?

Post by Nova » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:07 pm

lets assume you get in.

youre unlikely to get bl /fc whether you transfer or not. Mich is 50/50 and being a transfer without steller grades wont do you any favors.

is 100k for an increased shot worth it to you?

maybe 20% :arrow: 40% chance?

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am in University of Minnesota now with a full scholly, I am ranked top 30%. Should I/ Could I transfer to U of M ?
Up to you whether its worth $100k for a redo on grades (assuming you get in). You get a clean slate for 2L, so if u get, say top 10%, ur in the running for clerkship. Idk about possibility of biglaw though.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Probably something to worry about if you can get your grades up this semester.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:56 pm

Nova wrote:lets assume you get in.

youre unlikely to get bl /fc whether you transfer or not. Mich is 50/50 and being a transfer without steller grades wont do you any favors.

is 100k for an increased shot worth it to you?

maybe 20% :arrow: 40% chance?
1) you are unlikely to get in with your numbers, top 15% is more realistic

2) Mich is 50/50 is inaccurate. Transfers do better here than regular students at OCI. With smart bidding and well-targeted mass mailing, you have a much much greater chance of scoring BigLaw here than at Minnesota. Two transfers in my class who were top 25% at T30 schools scored V50 gigs, so even with non-stellar grades you have a good shot.

Transferring from Minn to UM is a no-brainer, if you have the chance, considering the dire prospects at your school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:31 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote:Transferring from Minn to UM is a no-brainer, if you have the chance, considering the dire prospects at your school.
depends how bad OP wants BL/FC

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 pm

I'd say stay.

Larger fish in a smaller pond with little debt. YMMV.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote: 2) Mich is 50/50 is inaccurate.
those are the overall odds on lst. umn @18%
Transfers do better here than regular students at OCI.
that seems unusual
Two transfers in my class who were top 25% at T30 schools scored V50 gigs, so even with non-stellar grades you have a good shot.
you're generalizing from a couple anecdotes

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Unusual or not, it's true. Employers like transfers, presumably b/c it shows initiative and a willingness to sacrifice for one's goals. I also think some interviewers have a tendency to focus on the absolute number of one's GPA. I know the BigLaw stats of the transfer class and I know they are higher than the school as a whole. The tendency of transfers to outperform regulars at OCI is well-documented in this forum.

It's not generalizing considering that those were the only two people in my transfer class with stats similar to OP and those were their outcomes.

LST also doesn't tell the full story b/c of people like me who are working at a firm with less than 100 people that pays market, a gig I never would've gotten without UM on my resume. 3 people from my summer class were in the same position from Duke. I know other transfers here that were also at non-NLJ firms paying market.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm

eastcoast_iub wrote: LST also doesn't tell the full story b/c of people like me who are working at a firm with less than 100 people that pays market, a gig I never would've gotten without UM on my resume. 3 people from my summer class were in the same position from Duke. I know other transfers here that were also at non-NLJ firms paying market.
Fortunately, LST breaks these numbers down so you could see how many people went to firms in different size ranges.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... n&show=ABA

Including firms of 26-100 in Michigan's count increases their biglaw placement by about 2.5%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”