Brooklyn Law to U Chi. Do I have a chance? Should I ED? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Brooklyn Law to U Chi. Do I have a chance? Should I ED?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:53 pm

I'm a 1L and full-time student at Brooklyn Law School who received an A, A, and A- in my doctrinal courses and a B- :? in my legal writing course. We do not receive our ranks until the end of the school year so I have no idea where I currently stand. I'm also an URM (if that matters). I have my heart set on attending U Chicago. My UGPA is sub 3.0 and my highest LSAT was a 166.

Do I have a good shot? Also, am I correct in assuming that ED is not a viable option for me since I have a crappy legal writing grade?

**Note: I also plan on applying to NYU and Columbia. I thought about applying to Fordham but I don't think I can give up a full scholarship at my current school for sticker at Fordham.

sublime

Diamond

Re: Brooklyn Law to U Chi. Do I have a chance? Should I ED?

Post by sublime » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 pm

sublime wrote:What is the mean/median of your current school? Do they post past grade percentile cutoffs?
I've been trying to figure that out from 2 and 3Ls with no success. They do not post past grade percentile cutoffs.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:01 pm

OP you should apply to firms like crazy. Many have diversity 1L SA positions specifically for people like you. Idk if there's the same URM boost for transfers, but there is one for firms. The B- would likely sink you for Chi if there's no boost, but not for other t-14s.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 pm

sublime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
sublime wrote:What is the mean/median of your current school? Do they post past grade percentile cutoffs?
I've been trying to figure that out from 2 and 3Ls with no success. They do not post past grade percentile cutoffs.
Did they post what the average grades for each class were? Most schools have a mandated mean.
I managed to find information about the dean's list (top 10%) cut offs for previous years

2013: 3.81 (Full-time)
2014: 3.74 (Full-time)
2015: 3.71 (Part-time) *Part-time is usually higher than full-time

My GPA is 3.71

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 pm

If this information is recent (says class of May 2012), and this is your school, then it looks like you are safely in the top 10%

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:30 pm

PepperJack wrote:OP you should apply to firms like crazy. Many have diversity 1L SA positions specifically for people like you. Idk if there's the same URM boost for transfers, but there is one for firms. The B- would likely sink you for Chi if there's no boost, but not for other t-14s.
I'm definitely looking into this.
Br3v wrote:If this information is recent (says class of May 2012), and this is your school, then it looks like you are safely in the top 10%
Thank you for the link!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”