Chances for Georgetown Early Action Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chances for Georgetown Early Action

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Got my first semester grades..worse than I had hoped - 3.0 GPA (not sure where it ranks, but probably around top 25%).

I have an MBA and 6-7 years WE..want to practice in DC after graduating.

I go to a T2 in NY.

Chances at Georgetown EA? If I make a convincing enough argument do you think they will look past my average GPA? Do they take LSAT and/or UGPA into account?

Anonymous User

Re: Chances for Georgetown Early Action

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:44 pm

I fall into the same boat..also interested

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Bump

boxie

New

Post by boxie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:15 pm

It would be a stretch for EA. The grades themselves don't really matter, but the rank does. Top 25% from a T2 is likely a deferral to the regular admission cycle.

Grades are the single most important factor for transfers. LSAT scores and UGPA don't really matter. Those serve as not particularly accurate estimations for how one will perform in law school. Once you are in law school, there is little utility in the LSAT.

If you have a convincing reason for why your grades should be higher, you can include a grade addendum. But convincing reason means major illness/family trauma/life-altering situation you were dealing with last semester. Otherwise, just focus on moving up in the class rank this semester. It will be a lot easier to make the argument that your grades 1st semester should have been higher if you can point to significantly improved grades 2nd semester.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:17 pm

From what I understand transfer students don't count towards a school's numbers for ranking purposes. Therefore, I'm guessing that someone who would be on the "cusp" if applying outright would have a bit of an advantage applying as a transfer? Any truth to that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:From what I understand transfer students don't count towards a school's numbers for ranking purposes. Therefore, I'm guessing that someone who would be on the "cusp" if applying outright would have a bit of an advantage applying as a transfer? Any truth to that?
I don't understand your question.

Your UG GPA and LSAT are completely irrelevant for Georgetown. I would speculate that your biggest advantage other than GPA would come from demonstrating a high probability that you will attend if accepted.

transfer57

New

Post by transfer57 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:07 am

I don't think it would hurt to apply early. Even if you don't get in, the absolute worst thing that can happen is that you get deferred. In that case, work your tail off this semester and you can get in during the regular admission cycle. They will see that you are genuinely interested in transferring and that can only help your chances.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:08 pm

Focus on getting your grades up or your EA application won't matter.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my first semester grades..worse than I had hoped - 3.0 GPA (not sure where it ranks, but probably around top 25%).

I have an MBA and 6-7 years WE..want to practice in DC after graduating.

I go to a T2 in NY.

Chances at Georgetown EA? If I make a convincing enough argument do you think they will look past my average GPA? Do they take LSAT and/or UGPA into account?
I had a friend transfer from a T2 in NY to Georgetown with a 3.65. I assume a 3.0 will defer you to regular admissions and your MBA and WE may tip the scales in your favor. It's worth a shot. If you really want to work in D.C. and if debt isn't something you're particularly concerned with, then apply to George Washington too. You'll probably get in then there.

Speak with your registrar to see if they can give you an unofficial, estimated rank.

Anonymous08

New

Post by Anonymous08 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:42 am

My undergraduate grades weren't hot and neither was my LSAT scores. I see some folks saying that UGPA and LSAT don't matter as much during the transfer process but I can't help but wonder. I am at a T4 right now. I Like the school but want to try my luck at transferring.

My first semester grades got me in the top 7% and CALI'd one of my courses. Got letters of Rec's from all four of my professors. Can anyone give me some insight on my chances?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”