Hope for transfer or Drop-Out? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hope for transfer or Drop-Out?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm a 1L at a TTTT. There is a particular T1 school I wanted to attend directly from Undergrad, but I did not make it in due to my GPA and LSAT at the time (I applied before finishing my first semester senior year). My GPA was a 2.9 and my LSAT was a 152. I worked hard my senior year and my GPA bumped to a 3.1. I took a practice exam under timed conditions and my LSAT score increased dramatically to the mid-160s - no doubt from being in law school.

Should I drop out, re-take the LSAT, and re-apply to get into this particular T1 school? Or should I keep pressing on and hope to be one of the rare transfers?

Thanks!

stillwater

Gold

Re: Hope for transfer or Drop-Out?

Post by stillwater » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at a TTTT. There is a particular T1 school I wanted to attend directly from Undergrad, but I did not make it in due to my GPA and LSAT at the time (I applied before finishing my first semester senior year). My GPA was a 2.9 and my LSAT was a 152. I worked hard my senior year and my GPA bumped to a 3.1. I took a practice exam under timed conditions and my LSAT score increased dramatically to the mid-160s - no doubt from being in law school.

Should I drop out, re-take the LSAT, and re-apply to get into this particular T1 school? Or should I keep pressing on and hope to be one of the rare transfers?

Thanks!
you probably cant transfer to a worthwihle school.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 pm

I would drop out. Any school that would let you in with those numbers can't be a fair deal.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Wait til first semester grades but probably drop out. Also law school doesn't help you do better on the LSAT ; lack of stress probably did

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 pm

Will having first semester grades back hinder my chances of going through an initial application again?

Thanks,
OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:57 am

I would assume it would. I really don't know, though. Dropping out seems like TCR, though.

onetwicethrice

New

Post by onetwicethrice » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at a TTTT. There is a particular T1 school I wanted to attend directly from Undergrad, but I did not make it in due to my GPA and LSAT at the time (I applied before finishing my first semester senior year). My GPA was a 2.9 and my LSAT was a 152. I worked hard my senior year and my GPA bumped to a 3.1. I took a practice exam under timed conditions and my LSAT score increased dramatically to the mid-160s - no doubt from being in law school.

Thanks!
The exam grades of your first semester will carry to your new school if you decide to reapply.

I would drop out and reapply.

jmls1987

Bronze

Post by jmls1987 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:49 am

Depends on how well you think you will do on exams. I was at a T4 like you with similar numbers. I worked hard, and I believe I did well because I met with all my professors to find out how they wanted exam answers structured. Each had their own style. Taking several practice exams also helps.

Anyways, it is possible to transfer from T4-T1. I was accepted to several, and some even offered me scholarships. Ended up at WashU for family reasons, but the school's name landed me interviews and a few callbacks at large firms in St Louis and Chicago. I ultimatley landed a SA position in Chicago that I am certain I would not have gotten if I stayed at my T4.

Good luck with your decision.

EtherOne

New

Post by EtherOne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:19 am

jmls1987 wrote:Depends on how well you think you will do on exams.
Predicting exam performance is not feasible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jmls1987

Bronze

Post by jmls1987 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:53 pm

EtherOne wrote:
True....but OP should be confident going into exams after practicing old exams from his professors and discussing his answers with them. You would be surprised at the number of students who never go to office hours. Also, utilizing upper level students who did well on exams helps tremendously. They can provide you with outlines, model answers, old exams, etc.

If you find out where you can grab the most points on exams, it IS feasible to predict you will do well. Only way to find out is meeting with professors and upper level students that rocked finals.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:34 pm

jmls1987 wrote:
EtherOne wrote:
True....but OP should be confident going into exams after practicing old exams from his professors and discussing his answers with them. You would be surprised at the number of students who never go to office hours. Also, utilizing upper level students who did well on exams helps tremendously. They can provide you with outlines, model answers, old exams, etc.

If you find out where you can grab the most points on exams, it IS feasible to predict you will do well. Only way to find out is meeting with professors and upper level students that rocked finals.
im going to play devil's advocate here. i didn't (and don't) think office hours were helpful or worth going to. some people virtually lived at office hours and got pwned, some people never went and were first in their class. its more about finding your own system. i second the find the upperclassman but only to extract outlines. you need to find your own way. any reliance on transfer however is foolhardy. too much variance, simply too unpredictable.

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:07 pm

stillwater wrote: im going to play devil's advocate here. i didn't (and don't) think office hours were helpful or worth going to. some people virtually lived at office hours and got pwned, some people never went and were first in their class. its more about finding your own system. i second the find the upperclassman but only to extract outlines. you need to find your own way. any reliance on transfer however is foolhardy. too much variance, simply too unpredictable.
+1 to this. There is no way to rely on predicting your grades and relying on transferring. A few subjective points on an exam can be the difference between an A- and a B+.

I think you really have two choices.

1) You wouldn't be comfortable with graduating at your new school. Drop out, retake, reapply.

2) You roll the dice, hope for top 5% (even then, transferring into the T1 non top14 isn't going to guarantee you a good job). If not in the top 5%, you look elsewhere outside the legal field.

If you're serious about being a lawyer (admittedly I don't know enough about your situation), based on what you provided, I would drop out and retake. Its better to put yourself 2 years behind at a much better school than to spend three years at a school with no job prospects.

jmls1987

Bronze

Post by jmls1987 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:10 pm

buckythebadger wrote:
stillwater wrote: im going to play devil's advocate here. i didn't (and don't) think office hours were helpful or worth going to. some people virtually lived at office hours and got pwned, some people never went and were first in their class. its more about finding your own system. i second the find the upperclassman but only to extract outlines. you need to find your own way. any reliance on transfer however is foolhardy. too much variance, simply too unpredictable.
+1 to this. There is no way to rely on predicting your grades and relying on transferring. A few subjective points on an exam can be the difference between an A- and a B+.

I think you really have two choices.

1) You wouldn't be comfortable with graduating at your new school. Drop out, retake, reapply.

2) You roll the dice, hope for top 5% (even then, transferring into the T1 non top14 isn't going to guarantee you a good job). If not in the top 5%, you look elsewhere outside the legal field.

If you're serious about being a lawyer (admittedly I don't know enough about your situation), based on what you provided, I would drop out and retake. Its better to put yourself 2 years behind at a much better school than to spend three years at a school with no job prospects.
I agree. If you feel you can get a really high LSAT, then go for it. If you do score high, you will have full rides to many T1 schools and save yourself a lot of money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

f174635

New

Post by f174635 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:03 am

OP, I would just take the exams, and if your grades are somewhat average, I'd stay for the remainder of 1L year and transfer. You may not get into the T1 school of your choice, but given the shitty state of law school economics these days, you may be accepted to a higher ranked school or several schools that are similarly ranked to yours. You can then use these acceptance letters to negotiate a full or substantial scholarship for your 2L or 3L years.

Also, keep in mind that even at your dream T1 school, their employment prospects are marginally better than your current TTTT.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 am

f174635 wrote:OP, I would just take the exams, and if your grades are somewhat average, I'd stay for the remainder of 1L year and transfer. You may not get into the T1 school of your choice, but given the shitty state of law school economics these days, you may be accepted to a higher ranked school or several schools that are similarly ranked to yours. You can then use these acceptance letters to negotiate a full or substantial scholarship for your 2L or 3L years.

Also, keep in mind that even at your dream T1 school, their employment prospects are marginally better than your current TTTT.
this isn't realistic and also doesnt make any sense.

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:01 am

f174635 wrote:OP, I would just take the exams, and if your grades are somewhat average, I'd stay for the remainder of 1L year and transfer. You may not get into the T1 school of your choice, but given the shitty state of law school economics these days, you may be accepted to a higher ranked school or several schools that are similarly ranked to yours. You can then use these acceptance letters to negotiate a full or substantial scholarship for your 2L or 3L years.

Ignore this advice.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:06 am

You shouldn't have gone in the first place.

Drop out. This shouldn't even be a question.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:13 pm

One last question. If I dropped out after I finished all my exams, but before grades were reported (EX: Let's say the last exam is Dec. 11 and I drop out Dec. 13), would my grades "stick" with me or would it be like I never took the exams?

Thanks again,
OP

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One last question. If I dropped out after I finished all my exams, but before grades were reported (EX: Let's say the last exam is Dec. 11 and I drop out Dec. 13), would my grades "stick" with me or would it be like I never took the exams?

Thanks again,
OP
check w your school

Cloud Strife

New

Post by Cloud Strife » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:31 am

I do not technically think you can drop out and re-apply after taking half a year.

It's a bold and genius move, however, if it were only possible. Imagine the pros: you get to re-take Fall semester having already mastered all the material. I highly doubt however this is possible, though, I can't say for sure. I do know during the application process on LSAC there would be a brief mention of attending a 1L school previously. It could be hard to defend the hypothesis that you didn't drop out to a lack of motivation. Law schools would be highly critical of anyone who dropped out for any reason.

However, if you're grades are sharp, no sense in not applying as a transfer. To that end, read everything you can by Arrow and apply widely. (Arrow is the legendary article of "How to do well in Law School" and also has a noteworthy Transfer guide.)

Hmm... in reviewing my comment. I'm a 2L transfer from a TTT to a T. I can't say enough positive things about the transfer bonuses. It's also a healthy target to set. Start earning softs, asking for letters, and up the game as much as possible to transfer.

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Transferring is a simple thing to understand. Do well, go way up. In this environment of plummeting applications you can get into better schools than you could have in the 2010-12 era of overpopulation. My stats: top 5.5% at upper TTT. Accepted to Gtown, Texas, WUSTL. If you find yourself outside the top 20% after semester one drop out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”