Credit/ No Credit transfer question Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
insd

New

Credit/ No Credit transfer question

Post by insd » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 pm

Hey guys,

I've developed an interest in transferring out of my mid-t2, but have a few questions. I've read a lot of the threads on TLS, but I haven't been able to find any specific information on this.

My school only offers credit/ no credit options for the first semester. They do give advisory grades, but these grades will not be factored into our cumulative GPAs, nor will we be given a rank based on these advisory grades. I was looking into some of the early decision programs at other universities, but am I even qualified to apply without actual transcript grades?

Also, if I were to end up at median after the first semester, but do very well second semester (I expect to do well first semester, but just in case) and end up in a good position to transfer, will the schools I'm looking at be concerned with my first semester advisory grades, or will they focus more on the fact that I'm #1 or top 10%?

Thanks in advance!

BVest

Platinum

Re: Credit/ No Credit transfer question

Post by BVest » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:33 am

insd wrote:Hey guys,

I've developed an interest in transferring out of my mid-t2, but have a few questions. I've read a lot of the threads on TLS, but I haven't been able to find any specific information on this.

My school only offers credit/ no credit options for the first semester. They do give advisory grades, but these grades will not be factored into our cumulative GPAs, nor will we be given a rank based on these advisory grades. I was looking into some of the early decision programs at other universities, but am I even qualified to apply without actual transcript grades?

Also, if I were to end up at median after the first semester, but do very well second semester (I expect to do well first semester, but just in case) and end up in a good position to transfer, will the schools I'm looking at be concerned with my first semester advisory grades, or will they focus more on the fact that I'm #1 or top 10%?

Thanks in advance!
I don't know about whether you would be qualified to apply, however many schools have a required minimum grade for a transfer credit. The advisory grade may suffice, or it may not and you could end up having to retake some 1L classes (or practicably unable to transfer) due to lack of transferrable credits. I suspect that the answer could vary from one target school to another, so if it's an option you should contact your most likely target schools before you opt one way or the other. Or just play it safe and opt for grades.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

insd

New

Post by insd » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:51 am

BVest wrote:
insd wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
I don't know about whether you would be qualified to apply, however many schools have a required minimum grade for a transfer credit. The advisory grade may suffice, or it may not and you could end up having to retake some 1L classes (or practicably unable to transfer) due to lack of transferrable credits. I suspect that the answer could vary from one target school to another, so if it's an option you should contact your most likely target schools before you opt one way or the other. Or just play it safe and opt for grades.
Hmm, I'll be receiving credit for the classes, but it'll just be on a credit/ no credit basis. Unfortunately, they don't give an option to opt for grades in the first semester... :(

Thanks for the response, though! I'll definitely try contacting the schools themselves for some answers.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm sure the schools have dealt with the issue before. They may require something like a letter from your registrar or professors certifying your advisory grades.

Here's a small sample of what some schools say:

Cornell [PDF]
Transfer credit will not be given unless the work done is completed at the C or better level.
Texas
Credit will be allowed only for courses with a grade of C or better. The standards of the law school attended will be accepted in judging what is C or better. Courses cannot be taken on a pass/fail basis. [This is about UT students who visit, but they apply the same standard to transfers.]
Contrarily, Vandy
Courses satisfactorily completed at the other school are usually accepted...
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:06 pm

I had a 1 credit pass/fail credit on my transcript as a transfer. It was a non-doctrinal course, but Columbia gave me credit for it. Can't speak for other schools, though.

insd

New

Post by insd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll just have to contact the schools I'm interested in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”