Do I have a chance? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do I have a chance?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:53 am

Hello,

I WAS in a T4 law school and I took a year off due to financial reasons. I'm now ready to go back to law school but I am wondering if I should go back to T4 or transfer to a different school. I am from MI so, I am hoping to go back to MI (along with many reasons) and I'd like to get your advice.

My 1L record indicates that i'm around Top 31%.
I don't have many soft factors..I was two professor's research assistant..which one of them was the Dean.

I did work in one of the biggest companies while I took a break from school.. but nothing special.

I am not expecting to transfer to a top law school.

T2 or T3 is my reach, but I am not sure...
any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

sap

Bronze

Re: Do I have a chance?

Post by sap » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:32 pm

You might be able to transfer to lower T2. I know that they lose a lot to high ranked schools every year, especially the ones that have top schools nearby (so I'd imagine that Michigan low-ranks lose a lot to University of Michigan). You should transfer to a school in Michigan if at all possible - Michigan lawyers almost certainly won't hire from Santa Clara or Northeastern, but they do hire a few people from Michigan State. And if you're not willing to go work in the area where the school is, don't bother going there.

You could always apply and see where that gets you. Application season is a while from now, and if you took time of from school for financial reasons, you'll probably have application fee waivers, so you don't lose that much.

However, you'll be hustling very very hard at your new school for a job. Being top 31% at your T4 isn't a great indicator that you'll be near the top in your new T2. Your job prospects probably won't be worse than they are now, and they may well be better from a T2/T3, but they won't be especially good. If cost is the same across all options, and you're determined to stay in law school, absolutely, transfer. But I think you should seriously consider whether law school is the best choice.

If your current school is one of the only schools in an area you want to practice, you might apply to a few and try to leverage a scholarship. Your job prospects will not be great, no matter what happens, and reducing debt might be your best strategy.

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 am

It would also be helpful to know what your career goals are. Do you want to work at a firm (big law is basically out of the equation), PI, government? Do you have any special family connections that can get you a job somewhere in Michigan?

You're in a really difficult position. The above poster is pretty much correct here. Your odds at landing a job at a firm to pay off the loans are not good. I don't know what schools such as MSU offer for IBR, so that should be something to look into if you want PI.

I'm assuming this is the year that you have taken off of school and would not return until next fall. I would take a step back from the situation and really look at what your career options. Transfer applications for next fall are not due until June/July of next year. Spend these months and see if you can land a decent non-legal job that has potential for advancement.

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 pm

If I were you I would try and do a couple of things...blanket the tier 2 and tier 3 law schools...I would also try some of the lower tier one schools (I know anecdotally Tulane takes some students from top third at tier 3 schools...maybe they will do it for tier 4). With an acceptance in hand, I would then see what money you can squeeze out of your current school. The thing is, you are not ranked high enough for them to need you so to speak. If you get into a tier 1 school I would definitely go. You probably wont be getting a high paying gig straight out, but if you really want to be a lawyer, I think going to a higher ranked law school makes you a better student and hence, in theory, a better lawyer.
This is all from personal experience. I have notices a huge difference between my tier 3 school and UT. The teachers are better, the students are brighter and more motivated which makes you better. I will always wonder if I should have gone to Gtown though...but UT places better for clerkships which is my goal (I keep telling myself at least). At any rate, good luck and be detracted from posters on here telling you you have no shot at certain schools, I think you have a great shot at Tulane and perhaps UF and the like.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Don't just go to a T2/T3 and think it offers you any improved job prospects. It probably offers marginally improved prospects at a much higher price. Pick the cheapest school in a location where you want to live/work, and go there. Then hustle/network/etc and hope for the best.

A TTTT in an area where you have ties/want to work is way better than a random T2 or even most T1s. Tulane would cost a crapload more than like University of Nebraska. If you want to work in Nebraska, then you should stay at the University of Nebraska. Switching to Tulane in this situation would be asinine.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd probably not go back. You don't seem all that enthused, and your job prospects are really dim. Sorry :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”