Transfer to Cornell Advice Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MXK

New

Transfer to Cornell Advice

Post by MXK » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:17 pm

I've been accepted to transfer to Cornell.

I'd really appreciate advice from anyone, especially if you've been in this position.

To people who've transferred to Cornell, how were your results at OCI?
Last edited by MXK on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

q4ern

New

Re: Transfer to Cornell Advice

Post by q4ern » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:24 pm

How/when did you hear from cornell?

MXK

New

Post by MXK » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:27 pm

q4ern wrote:How/when did you hear from cornell?
Friday by email.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Your goal is BigLaw and NYC, two things Case cannot get you. So to Cornell and it's not even close. However, I've heard that Cornell does not allow transfer to participate in OCI, that would definitely be something you want to find out first before you decide.

gonewiththewind

Bronze

Post by gonewiththewind » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:42 pm

MXK wrote:
q4ern wrote:How/when did you hear from cornell?
Friday by email.
Cool, a transfer. I'm pretty sure that Cornell doesn't let transfers do AJF; at least, the transfers I knew didn't participate in it (and I'm guessing if they had a choice, they would've).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MXK

New

Post by MXK » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Last edited by MXK on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Personally I would pick Cornell, even if it involves mass mailing. I just do not think Case will get you NY BigLaw.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:38 pm

The problem is that our OCI is a joke that about a dozen firms come to. All the action is at AJF. You'd have to be ready to rely on mass mail, and you'd have to start pretty much right now.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:41 pm

Also what do you mean by NY state? If you have upstate ties, most of the firms that come to the actual OCI are Syracuse/Buffalo/Rochester firms.
Eta: meant to edit, not double post.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MXK

New

Post by MXK » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Last edited by MXK on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:51 pm

MXK wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Also what do you mean by NY state? If you have upstate ties, most of the firms that come to the actual OCI are Syracuse/Buffalo/Rochester firms.
I just meant I'm not crazy about the city itself but I'd be happy to work there for the right job.
Ah, ok. If you want to be in New York I think it's a defensible choice. But I would start mass mailing as soon as you get your Cornell email. And I'd still mail OH markets and any other secondary markets you have ties to.

MXK

New

Post by MXK » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:02 pm

Last edited by MXK on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BFrankBYangC

New

Post by BFrankBYangC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Don't pay $150,000 for the privilege of mass mailing firms with grades from your old school. You can do that just fine where you are now.
Last edited by BFrankBYangC on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:12 pm

BFrankBYangC wrote:Cornell is the August job fair, I'm not sure it's worth it if you can't participate.

Don't pay $150,000 for the privilege of mass mailing firms with grades from your old school. You can do that just fine where you are now.
Yeah I just looked and 11 firms come to the actual OCI. And only 3 of those are in NYC. And that's not even a guarantee you'll get 11 firms, due to the lottery.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Don't go if all you will be doing is mass mailing. It sucks, and they are a bunch of dicks for not letting you participate in the real OCI, but don't give in to the temptation.

MXK

New

Post by MXK » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Last edited by MXK on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 pm

No, Columbia.

But it sounds like Cornell does a very similar thing to Columbia in that AJF is OCI. All of the firms come for AJF and all of the hiring is done at AJF. "OCI" exists, but only a handful of small firms show up and some government agencies. If you don't do AJF, there's no point in transferring. At Columbia, ours is called EIP. All of the hiring is done then. There are like 10 firms at OCI and no one gets a job from it.

If you want to work in upstate NY at a smaller firm, I just don't know. Not sure if those firms would prefer a Cornell student at median or a non-local TT @ top 10% w/ LR.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:10 pm

shock259 wrote:No, Columbia.

But it sounds like Cornell does a very similar thing to Columbia in that AJF is OCI. All of the firms come for AJF and all of the hiring is done at AJF. "OCI" exists, but only a handful of small firms show up and some government agencies. If you don't do AJF, there's no point in transferring. At Columbia, ours is called EIP. All of the hiring is done then. There are like 10 firms at OCI and no one gets a job from it.

If you want to work in upstate NY at a smaller firm, I just don't know. Not sure if those firms would prefer a Cornell student at median or a non-local TT @ top 10% w/ LR.
This is spot on (Cornell student here). I hope Cornell made this clear, or else they were being very disingenuous.

gonewiththewind

Bronze

Post by gonewiththewind » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:39 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
shock259 wrote:No, Columbia.

This is spot on (Cornell student here). I hope Cornell made this clear, or else they were being very disingenuous.
Yeah. Cornell's AJF = best chance to get meaningful employment. That's why I confused AJF with OCI; AJF IS our OCI, and the actual "OCI" is something most people forget about.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”