Negotiating Scholarships Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SloppyHandwriting

New

Negotiating Scholarships

Post by SloppyHandwriting » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:46 pm

What's the best way to negotiate a scholarship when the current school I'm attending is substantially cheaper than the transferee school? I can't really say that more $$ would be nice to keep me because it is already much, much cheaper to stay.

My current school offered me an increase in scholarship, but the increase in scholarship matches the increase in tuition for the year... so I'd be paying the same anyways. Is there any way to increase that amount?

BVest

Platinum

Re: Negotiating Scholarships

Post by BVest » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 am

Is the new school higher ranked? If so, that's consideration they're bringing to the table. Old school needs to bring more to the table to meet that.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

SloppyHandwriting

New

Post by SloppyHandwriting » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Yes, it is considerably higher ranked. And for that reason, I am willing to pay in-state sticker. But what is the best way to convey to my current school that rank is an important element? Is it appropriate to just overtly say "They have a higher rank and that is a reason for my transferring?"

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornhuskers3

New

Post by Cornhuskers3 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:54 pm

They know what's up. When I went it and just talked about my grades I got a maybe you might qualify. When I dropped an acceptance and said I have choices to think through, I got a call the same afternoon. They're not dumb, you don't have to lay it on thick, at least IME. You're there talking about a scholarship. They know you're willing to pay more for a better oppty at a job.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Different schools do this differently. But you should email/call your dean and explain that you have an acceptance to another school, but you'd like to stay at your current school if it made financial sense. They may be able to give you an answer immediately or you may have to jump through some hoops.

They'll probably give you a spiel about how you shouldn't transfer, how you won't get a job at OCI, etc. Smile, nod, etc. But stay firm in your intentions to leave.

Some schools won't give you any money regardless. So don't feel bad if you don't get anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”