Answering "why your old school" and "why your new school" Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
brotherdarkness

Gold

Answering "why your old school" and "why your new school"

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:23 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Volake

New

Re: Answering "why your old school" and "why your new school"

Post by Volake » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 pm

Was there a strong upward trend to your GPA during your UG education? If so, you may be able to swing it as you put things together in the latter part of your UG education, and have been going strongly since. The dedicated and driven person you've been over the past 3-4 years is representative of the person you will be for the rest of your career. Although you didn't have the opportunity at first to go to the law school you initially wanted to go to at first because of different habits/poor decisions, that you are there now speaks for itself.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2013applicant

New

Post by 2013applicant » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:54 pm

When asked "Why your old school?"

I answered, "They gave me a sizable scholarship and I enjoyed my visit to the school. It was a great place to do my 1L year but I'm very excited to be at School X now."

99% of the time, that was it. Received several V5 and V10 offers.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

potted plant

New

Post by potted plant » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:27 am

I wouldn't worry about seeming like a flight risk. You spent one year in the midwest and then transferred back to California where you have your strongest ties. I think it's pretty clear that you don't want to be in the midwest and I think firms will believe you.

I'm from California and want to work in California. Just like you I went to UG in California too. Now I'm at Michigan. I don't anticipate having a lot of trouble trying to convince firms that I want to be back in California as I won't be bidding in the midwest and I have no midwestern ties. But if anybody asked why I went to Michigan I would just tell the truth, that it's a good school, that it was less expensive than my other options and that I liked it when I visited.

If I were you I would just tell firms the truth, that you thought it was your best option given the price, the better job prospects compared to the CA schools you got into and the ability to fall back on family. I think that shows that you made a smart and considered choice and would probably reflect better than trying to act like you didn't really understanding how legal hiring worked when you first went to law school.

whynat

New

Post by whynat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:50 am

Why? Why nat?

2013applicant

New

Post by 2013applicant » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:59 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
2013applicant wrote:When asked "Why your old school?"

I answered, "They gave me a sizable scholarship and I enjoyed my visit to the school. It was a great place to do my 1L year but I'm very excited to be at School X now."

99% of the time, that was it. Received several V5 and V10 offers.
That's a solid way to quickly dispense of the issue. Out of curiosity, did both schools feed the same market?
Negative. Drastically different markets. (Southeastern U.S. vs. National)

Dawkins

New

Post by Dawkins » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:19 am

brotherdarkness wrote: Answering the "why did you choose to transfer" question seems to be fairly easy: law school is an investment and, given the current economy, I wanted to take every possible measure to ensure I had the greatest return on my investment.
I wouldn't say that I wanted to take every possible measure to ensure I had the greatest return on my investment. Even if true, it doesn't sound very good. I would talk about how the new school had better resources such as clinics, courses, faculty, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:32 am

Dawkins wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote: Answering the "why did you choose to transfer" question seems to be fairly easy: law school is an investment and, given the current economy, I wanted to take every possible measure to ensure I had the greatest return on my investment.
I wouldn't say that I wanted to take every possible measure to ensure I had the greatest return on my investment. Even if true, it doesn't sound very good. I would talk about how the new school had better resources such as clinics, courses, faculty, etc.
lulz, as if biglawl cares about clinics and faculty.

lawalum

New

Post by lawalum » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 am

Talking about a return on your investment makes a lot of sense to me on the other side of the interview desk. I think 2013 applicant's response is effective - I wouldn't go into a ton of detail on this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”