LR invite at old school; Accept 2° journal at new school? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I limit my write-on application at my new school to LR only, ignoring secondary journal?

Yes: Go for only LR since you already have LR invite from old school
11%
No: Apply for secondary journal too
89%

Total votes: 9

Anonymous User

LR invite at old school; Accept 2° journal at new school?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:58 am

I was invited to join LR at my old school (50-70) (which I declined because I accepted transfer position prior to invites) and my new school has a transfer write-on competition for LR in which I can also apply for secondary journals. My question is this: Should I even bother accepting a secondary journal at the new school?

I'm thinking of applying in my write-on for only LR and nothing secondary. My basic thoughts about it are:

Pros:
I already have LR invite on my resume from decent school, and a valid reason for declining it
Secondary journals are a lot of work for very marginal return

Cons:
Could be viewed as lazy, resting on my laurels
Could be viewed as too cocky, being unwilling to accept anything less than LR

zor

Bronze

Re: LR invite at old school; Accept 2° journal at new school?

Post by zor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was invited to join LR at my old school (50-70) (which I declined because I accepted transfer position prior to invites) and my new school has a transfer write-on competition for LR in which I can also apply for secondary journals. My question is this: Should I even bother accepting a secondary journal at the new school?

I'm thinking of applying in my write-on for only LR and nothing secondary. My basic thoughts about it are:

Pros:
I already have LR invite on my resume from decent school, and a valid reason for declining it
Secondary journals are a lot of work for very marginal return

Cons:
Could be viewed as lazy, resting on my laurels
Could be viewed as too cocky, being unwilling to accept anything less than LR
I discussed this with an attorney mentor recently and he said that LR invite at the old school is basically worthless and advised me not to even bother putting it on my resume. The resume will show a transfer and you wouldn't have been able to transfer without doing well enough to get on LR, so it's redundant. And since you didn't actually DO LR, there's nothing to sing about.

So I would ask yourself whether you want secondary journal/no journal, not LR invite/secondary journal.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:46 am

If you're at a school with like 85% journal participation, not doing a secondary looks bad.

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:If you're at a school with like 85% journal participation, not doing a secondary looks bad.
In the alternative, if your at a school with 25% journal participation, then doing a secondary looks good.

Bottom line: just suck it up and do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”