Starting 1L with the transfer mentality Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Starting 1L with the transfer mentality

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Has anyone does this? If so, did you succeed? I don't know if these are unrealistic expectations and I am setting myself up for disappoint, but it is my current plan. In case it matters, attending a T14 but hoping to transfer to HY.

Thank you all in advance.

stillwater

Gold

Re: Starting 1L with the transfer mentality

Post by stillwater » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:43 pm

RESPECT THE RULEz

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone does this? If so, did you succeed? I don't know if these are unrealistic expectations and I am setting myself up for disappoint, but it is my current plan. In case it matters, attending a T14 but hoping to transfer to HY.

You NEVER attend a school with the intention of transferring. You can hope and pray and wish all you want, and that is fine. But never go to a school from which you wouldn't be 100% comfortable graduating, since it is almost certain that you will be graduating from the school you initially attend.

If you are indeed 100% comfortable graduating from your school, you will have no need for a "transfer mentality", and if you aren't 100% comfortable graduating from the school, you shouldn't be attending anyway. So no, never is that mentality and approach acceptable. If you want a better school, open up the LSAT books and get yourself into a better school. You have much more control on the LSAT than you will over your law school grades.
Last edited by kaiser on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:54 pm

First off, get out.

Second, absolutely I went in with that mentality from day one. I'm attending a local TT that I would be happy graduating from, but I always knew that, if I had the opportunity, I would transfer in a heartbeat. It sorta made me a gunner.

However, as noted above, you can't predict how well you're going to do. The odds are stacked heavily against you. So, yes, transferring is a great option, but for most people, it's no option at all.

Okay, now get out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks for the responses in spite of my obvious rule breaking. I will see myself out.

transferhopes2013

New

Post by transferhopes2013 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:59 pm

This is the best mentality to have. Of course, the statistics are always stacked against you in Law School. However, for me, I knew that any shot of H or S would require me to be at the very top of my class. Guess what? I ended up at the very top of my class. Coincidence? Maybe, but probably not. My classmates were happy with finishing top 25%. They didn't even know transferring was possible. My goals were on another level.

GL

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:02 pm

transferhopes2013 wrote:This is the best mentality to have. Of course, the statistics are always stacked against you in Law School. However, for me, I knew that any shot of H or S would require me to be at the very top of my class. Guess what? I ended up at the very top of my class. Coincidence? Maybe, but probably not. My classmates were happy with finishing top 25%. They didn't even know transferring was possible. My goals were on another level.

GL
this post really cracked me up

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:25 pm

stillwater wrote:
transferhopes2013 wrote:This is the best mentality to have. Of course, the statistics are always stacked against you in Law School. However, for me, I knew that any shot of H or S would require me to be at the very top of my class. Guess what? I ended up at the very top of my class. Coincidence? Maybe, but probably not. My classmates were happy with finishing top 25%. They didn't even know transferring was possible. My goals were on another level.

GL
lol exactly.... because people try hard enough to be top quarter, and don't REALLY want to be #1....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

transferhopes2013

New

Post by transferhopes2013 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Nammertat wrote:
stillwater wrote:

GL
lol exactly.... because people try hard enough to be top quarter, and don't REALLY want to be #1....
Glad I could help.

7ED

Bronze

Post by 7ED » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Well, if you are going ONLY because you want to transfer out, then that is a terrible idea. However, if you are going with the intention of transferring out, but will be comfortable where you are at if you don't have the chance, then I don't see how that could hurt you - might certainly drive u to work harder.

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

You need to make your decision on where to go as if transferring to a school you want is not going to be in the cards after your 1L year. However, after that decision based on said premise is made, the prospect of transfer can be part of the fuel for you to work hard and effectively to gain the grades that give you the option.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:08 pm

yea bro, then your ambition is on another level.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:26 pm

My advice is to not write a blog about it.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/confessi ... r-student/

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:24 am

Just wanted to clarify, because there seems to be a lot of retarded answers floating around: you can't work your way to an "A" in law school. You are either good at taking law school exams or not. You can, of course, practice that skill, but if you are hitting the Civ Pro textbook 24/7, it's more likely than not that you're just wasting time.

Everyone knows the law. It's the application that separates the A's and the B's. Even then, there's only a hairline difference between the exams.

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:48 am

I don't know whose posts you are criticizing, Danger Zone, but you certainly can work hard to improve your chances at a better grade. No one would contend that hard work can guarantee you an A. If you're suggesting that exam- taking ability can't be improved, though, you are mistaken.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:05 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:05 am

Volake wrote:I don't know whose posts you are criticizing, Danger Zone, but you certainly can work hard to improve your chances at a better grade. No one would contend that hard work can guarantee you an A. If you're suggesting that exam- taking ability can't be improved, though, you are mistaken.
ya DZ youre so mean!!!!!

im sure you can improve incrementally but so can the lawgod next to you thats been crushing you since day 1

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:32 am

Volake wrote:I don't know whose posts you are criticizing, Danger Zone, but you certainly can work hard to improve your chances at a better grade. No one would contend that hard work can guarantee you an A. If you're suggesting that exam- taking ability can't be improved, though, you are mistaken.
First, I'm never mistaken. Second,
Danger Zone wrote:You are either good at taking law school exams or not. You can, of course, practice that skill
So I obviously don't disagree with your assertion that "exam-taking ability" can be improved. What I'm assailing is this idea (which was very prevalent in the 1L CSWS thread) that spending 14 hours a day with your casebook will get you better grades. Hell, even spending 14 hours a day with practice exams wouldn't provide any guarantee of good grades. Raw exam-taking ability requires genetic superiority, which cannot be practiced.

That last line was only partially trolling.

pedroia

New

Post by pedroia » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:43 pm

kaiser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone does this? If so, did you succeed? I don't know if these are unrealistic expectations and I am setting myself up for disappoint, but it is my current plan. In case it matters, attending a T14 but hoping to transfer to HY.

You NEVER attend a school with the intention of transferring. You can hope and pray and wish all you want, and that is fine. But never go to a school from which you wouldn't be 100% comfortable graduating, since it is almost certain that you will be graduating from the school you initially attend.

If you are indeed 100% comfortable graduating from your school, you will have no need for a "transfer mentality", and if you aren't 100% comfortable graduating from the school, you shouldn't be attending anyway. So no, never is that mentality and approach acceptable. If you want a better school, open up the LSAT books and get yourself into a better school. You have much more control on the LSAT than you will over your law school grades.
IMO the above is exactly right, word for word, and everything else in this thread can be ignored. Not that some of it might not be right, but it's beside the point. The above is both dead on right, and dead on relevant.

BTW I went into 1L hoping to possibly be able to transfer. It was definitely in the back of my mind. As it turned out I'm in the top less than 1% at my T1 school. But it could have easily not ended up that way, and I would have been very happy to graduate from the school I'm at.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:42 pm

OP here. Thank you for the response above. To be clear, I love the school I'll be headed to and would be very glad to graduate from it. I think it will set me up for some excellent job opportunities. The reason why I have my sights set on H/Y is primarily geographical, but obviously there is a secondary prestige/quality/future prospect appeal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”