What would you do? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What would you do?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 pm

I currently attend a school ranked in the lower 40s, have a 50% scholarship, and am at the top of my class. I've been accepted to a T10 and am waiting to hear back from a few T6 schools.

Assuming my school doesn't increase my scholarship, that I want to work in big law, and that I don't care which market I end up in, do you think I should transfer or stay here or graduate with less debt? Is the T10 worthwhile, or would you transfer only if it were to a T6?

spleenworship

Gold

Re: What would you do?

Post by spleenworship » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I currently attend a school ranked in the lower 40s, have a 50% scholarship, and am at the top of my class. I've been accepted to a T10 and am waiting to hear back from a few T6 schools.

Assuming my school doesn't increase my scholarship, that I want to work in big law, and that I don't care which market I end up in, do you think I should transfer or stay here or graduate with less debt? Is the T10 worthwhile, or would you transfer only if it were to a T6?
I'd do the t6 that lets you participate in OCI (I assume they would) or stay where u are.

YMMV

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:04 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I currently attend a school ranked in the lower 40s, have a 50% scholarship, and am at the top of my class. I've been accepted to a T10 and am waiting to hear back from a few T6 schools.

I'd do the t6 that lets you participate in OCI (I assume they would) or stay where u are.

YMMV
Thanks for the advice. All of the schools I have applied to allow for OCI participation.

If my school does increase my scholarship, I'm thinking it would be best to try my chances at biglaw from here with less debt than transfer to a T6, unless H/S. Does that seem like the smart play?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

YMMV
Thanks for the advice. All of the schools I have applied to allow for OCI participation.

If my school does increase my scholarship, I'm thinking it would be best to try my chances at biglaw from here with less debt than transfer to a T6, unless H/S. Does that seem like the smart play?
Only you know the answer to that.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:57 pm

What is the competition in your region like? Lower 40s could be in the Los Angeles area (without checking rankings). I would consider transferring just to avoid the UCLA/USC competition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:08 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:What is the competition in your region like? Lower 40s could be in the Los Angeles area (without checking rankings). I would consider transferring just to avoid the UCLA/USC competition.
There are two T14 schools which have the same primary market as my school.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
UnderrateOverachieve wrote:What is the competition in your region like? Lower 40s could be in the Los Angeles area (without checking rankings). I would consider transferring just to avoid the UCLA/USC competition.
You may have just outed your school.

If you can remain extremely competitive (academically) then you probably will have a good shot in your region. Do the mental math though. What is the risk of you dropping out of the top rank at your school, reduced by the lessened debt (from your scholarship), compared to the probability of getting similar work at the transferred school, but with taking one more debt.

If you really sit down, number crunch, and do some online searches, I bet you can figure out the correct answer.

Also, do not forget to factory in any of the great programs many of the T14s have that will help you expunge that debt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:28 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You may have just outed your school.

If you can remain extremely competitive (academically) then you probably will have a good shot in your region. Do the mental math though. What is the risk of you dropping out of the top rank at your school, reduced by the lessened debt (from your scholarship), compared to the probability of getting similar work at the transferred school, but with taking one more debt.

If you really sit down, number crunch, and do some online searches, I bet you can figure out the correct answer.

Also, do not forget to factory in any of the great programs many of the T14s have that will help you expunge that debt.
What are the programs you're referring to? I'm only familiar with IBR and LRAP. I'm not looking for public interest work, so LRAP wouldn't be of much use to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”