Potential transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sid.bahl

New

Potential transfer

Post by sid.bahl » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Hey guys. I'll be attending a T2 in NY this coming fall. If I finish the year strong (top 10% or so) then I'm hoping to transfer to a better school in NYC. My undergraduate GPA was bad (sub 3 GPA) and my LSAT was a 153. I did get my MBA after undergrad and have 5+ years of good experience with a trust management firm.

What would schools focus on the most in regards to my transfer candidacy? Is it primarily based on my 1L grades? Or is there much more to it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

stillwater

Gold

Re: Potential transfer

Post by stillwater » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Some good advice here. Also, don't attend a school that you wouldn't be happy graduating from. There's probably only a 10% chance that you will transfer.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys. I'll be attending a T2 in NY this coming fall. If I finish the year strong (top 10% or so) then I'm hoping to transfer to a better school in NYC. My undergraduate GPA was bad (sub 3 GPA) and my LSAT was a 153. I did get my MBA after undergrad and have 5+ years of good experience with a trust management firm.

What would schools focus on the most in regards to my transfer candidacy? Is it primarily based on my 1L grades? Or is there much more to it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
This is a very bad plan. You likely have one of the lower LSAT scores and work ethics of the entering class. There will be 165 3.6's there on a full ride who you'll need to place ahead of to meet your goals. If one were placing a bet on you transferring to say NYU or Columbia, they would likely get 35:1 odds. I would reassess the plan here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks for the tips. Would the potential schools I am looking to transfer to even be interested in my undergrad grades? Or my LSAT score? From what I've read on these forums it appears to be primarily 1L grades. I'm not using this as a "plan of action" as I understand the odds of this happening aren't very good. I'm just trying to plan out what I'd do in the event that I place very well first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the tips. Would the potential schools I am looking to transfer to even be interested in my undergrad grades? Or my LSAT score? From what I've read on these forums it appears to be primarily 1L grades. I'm not using this as a "plan of action" as I understand the odds of this happening aren't very good. I'm just trying to plan out what I'd do in the event that I place very well first year.
RESPECT THE RULEZ

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 pm

stillwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the tips. Would the potential schools I am looking to transfer to even be interested in my undergrad grades? Or my LSAT score? From what I've read on these forums it appears to be primarily 1L grades. I'm not using this as a "plan of action" as I understand the odds of this happening aren't very good. I'm just trying to plan out what I'd do in the event that I place very well first year.
RESPECT THE RULEZ
Haha relax there you dork. I read the rules. It's a question. If you don't want to answer it then don't.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stillwater wrote:
RESPECT THE RULEZ
Haha relax there you dork. I read the rules. It's a question. If you don't want to answer it then don't.
Also not sure why you are using the anonymous feature.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:33 pm

People disagree, but I have a feeling your LSAT score may still matter somewhat. There's a reason why top third at Georgetown might get into Columbia over someone top 5% at Hofstra. It seems like you're planning on working really hard in law school, but not before it. Everyone has this plan. You likely haven't developed the stamina yet or will spend much of your time studying wrong or may not learn how to take tests. It would likely be a better financial option to once you get your loan money for the year, take it all to Las Vegas and bet on black. If you win, then drop out and pay back whatever you owe. Then use your winnings to support yourself while you study to get a better LSAT score, or do something else. I promise this will be a much better long term career plan.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haha relax there you dork. I read the rules. It's a question. If you don't want to answer it then don't.
TLS Moderators wrote:1) 0Ls should not be posting questions here.

If you're a 0L who wants advice about anything from current law students, including how transferring works, then you want to go to this forum set up just for you: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4
Apparently not, herp derpington.

[insert joke in poor taste about how that reading comp won't help you]

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Transfers”