is transferring worth it? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

is transferring worth it?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm at a T25 in a major east coast market. I finished the year with a 4.0. i am ranked either 1 or 2. I am NYC or bust and am not in NYC right now. I graded onto LR at my current school. i have applied to upenn and up. i absolutely want to ensure, to the best degree possible, that I work at a biglaw firm in NYC next summer. what's the best move? should i stay? should i go? is there a certain school i should cut off my exploration at?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: is transferring worth it?

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:50 pm

V10ish firms in NYC routinely make offers to students with credentials like those as well as students with credentials like those who then transfer. You're in a good position either way - you'll have to do more legwork if you don't transfer (smaller OCI) but have the advantage of not needing to move.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:46 am

If you cannot land NYC BigLaw with a 4.0 from a T25, you can rest assured that you have a horrible personality and it has nothing to do with your school. Just start direct mailing NYC firms now if your school's OCI is truly that pathetic. You'll get something. Probably enough responses to have some pretty decent choices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:04 am

KidStuddi wrote:If you cannot land NYC BigLaw with a 4.0 from a T25, you can rest assured that you have a horrible personality and it has nothing to do with your school. Just start direct mailing NYC firms now if your school's OCI is truly that pathetic. You'll get something. Probably enough responses to have some pretty decent choices.
OP here. My concern isn't a lack of interview skills. I think I am at the very least average at it to better than average. I just want to ensure I have access to the most opportunities possible.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:07 am

what's you're current scholarship and expected HYS aid?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:13 am

JamMasterJ wrote:what's you're current scholarship and expected HYS aid?
my current scholarship is not substantial. ~18k a year. i dunno, i havent calculated the latter. i should probably get on that. is there an easy way to do that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:45 pm

bump. any advice?

sadday

New

Post by sadday » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Have you read the transfer essay by arrow? Would you mind telling us what your study method was? Did you spend more time on cases or supplementals ? Did you brief? etc..
Last edited by sadday on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Make sure you speak with the LR kids from last year to see what their experience was. Find out how the top few students did. Like I said, most LR people from the T25 I was at got good jobs lined up, including a number of NY kids, all at big firm. There were a few exceptions, but I'd imagine they are a bit rare.

I gave up a bigger scholarship than you did to transfer, but if you live frugally in the new place, you can chip away at the difference. But it all comes down to how much value the expanded options. With a 4.0 at a city East Coast T25, you are close to guaranteed a big firm position. For someone with as high grades as you, its really just a Q of what tier you are looking at. At a T25, they may not really take students from your current school, aside from maybe 1 or 2. But heck, since you will be probably the top of the class, that 1 or 2 may very well be you. Whereas, at the CCN schools, and at H, the top tier firms take many more students, so you get a bit more opportunity at that echelon.

Unlike you, I was just around top 10%. Good but not elite like your GPA. While I would have likely found a good job at OCI, I felt like transferring up would give me a serious boost in prospects. But for the top person in the class, I'm not so sure the difference is all that great. Second, I really wanted law review and would have stayed if I had gotten on, but I didn't, so that was a knock on my resume that could be compensated for with a better school. You will have neither of these issues since you will be at the very top and almost certainly grade directly onto law review. So, for you, it really just comes down to how much you are willing to pay for the additional safety net.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”