Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
08liuty

New

Transfer

Post by 08liuty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:21 am

Chances:
IUB-Maurer Rank 26 Top 25% to GULC, Northwestern, UT (Texas Resident)

dsb83

Bronze

Re: Transfer

Post by dsb83 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 am

I can't speak much to your chances...my instincts say you'd need to bring your grades up some but that's just speculation. I think it's best to look at posted numbers from previous years and try to talk to some people who transferred, considered transferring or knew someone that transferred out of your school. I do know with Texas -- from first-hand information from Admissions and from others who have transferred -- that they expect you to have some "compelling reason" to transfer in addition to being qualified and wanting to go to a better school. Something like family, spouses career, etc. They do not take a lot of transfers -- 6 last year, though that was the lowest in a while -- and can be especially hard to predict. They reduced their class size quite a bit this year, so maybe that will mean more transfers.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm

I do know someone who transferred from my lower-than-IUB T1 to Texas with (allegedly) a top 25% ranking. It was a couple of years ago and is totally anecdotal, but I mention it in case it's of interest to you.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 am

dsb83 wrote:I can't speak much to your chances...my instincts say you'd need to bring your grades up some but that's just speculation. I think it's best to look at posted numbers from previous years and try to talk to some people who transferred, considered transferring or knew someone that transferred out of your school. I do know with Texas -- from first-hand information from Admissions and from others who have transferred -- that they expect you to have some "compelling reason" to transfer in addition to being qualified and wanting to go to a better school. Something like family, spouses career, etc. They do not take a lot of transfers -- 6 last year, though that was the lowest in a while -- and can be especially hard to predict. They reduced their class size quite a bit this year, so maybe that will mean more transfers.
+1 to the bolded. With the addition that externing with the Texas Supreme Court used to qualify as a 'compelling' reason.

Your Texas residency will help, or so the admissions office says. As another data point for you, I was in the top few people of my T2 when my application was rejected by UT Law as a Texas resident. I was accepted by a couple T14s and SMU with ease.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”