Upward trend and transferring Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RickyRoe

Bronze

Upward trend and transferring

Post by RickyRoe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:04 pm

I was below median fall semester at a T2. I had a good excuse as to why, which I won't go into as it isn't relevant, but I think I can rebound and finish top 10% next semester with some hard work. Would a school take into account both semesters equally, or would I be able to explain why my (hypothetical) spring semester is more indicative of my abilities going forward?

Also, assuming I can convince a school to take me as a transfer, would those fall grades be wiped off of my record? I know the new school would just consider then as Pass/Fail, but would employers still ask for my 1L transcript? I would still be able to finish with a much higher class rank, but would my fall grades still haunt me and to what extent?

And before anyone has the chance, I am not going to drop out. It isn't costing me much because of private scholarships that can be transferred to a new school, and I am not one to give up after just one semester.

stillwater

Gold

Re: Upward trend and transferring

Post by stillwater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:07 pm

RickyRoe wrote:I was below median fall semester at a T2. I had a good excuse as to why, which I won't go into as it isn't relevant, but I think I can rebound and finish top 10% next semester with some hard work. Would a school take into account both semesters equally, or would I be able to explain why my (hypothetical) spring semester is more indicative of my abilities going forward?

Also, assuming I can convince a school to take me as a transfer, would those fall grades be wiped off of my record? I know the new school would just consider then as Pass/Fail, but would employers still ask for my 1L transcript? I would still be able to finish with a much higher class rank, but would my fall grades still haunt me and to what extent?

And before anyone has the chance, I am not going to drop out. It isn't costing me much because of private scholarships that can be transferred to a new school, and I am not one to give up after just one semester.
bro, upward trends are myths in any admissions process. and, yes, they will simply regard your 1L GPA as a whole.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Ah yes, the work harder for top 10% trick.

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Where are you looking to transfer? I would say t14 is out of the question, but a tier one school would likely take you if you can bring your overall grades (both semesters combined) close to top third. Its not to say that admissions will overlook your legitimate reason for wanting to transfer, but you need to pass the first round of dings based on GPA/Rank that they likely administer strictly for efficiency purposes. My conjecture is that means being above median at least, and as close to top third as possible. Someone may be able to refute this.

With that said, what is your reason for wanting to transfer? Your new school will just give you the credits they give to incoming transfer students which roughly equates the credits the 1L class at the school received. There will likely be no record of your performance at the T2 school on your new school's transcripts, but you will need to have copies of your transcript from your T2 school for employers should they request it. So, if your reason for transferring is to try and mask your poor performance 1L year, I would say that is a bad reason to try and transfer. You could just as easily explain the circumstances that led you to do so poorly in cover letters or interviews if need be.

Now, if you have regional preferences for flipping to a T1 school, that is another matter, especially considering your transferable scholarship. But transferring just for the sake of moving up a few spots is generally ill-advised.

RickyRoe

Bronze

Post by RickyRoe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 pm

I realize the "upward trend" is a myth in the admissions process, but I wasn't sure if it was so in the transfer process since the school does not have to report GPA's for transfers and therefore they do not factor into the rankings. I would be transferring to a T1 school that I was admitted to but wasn't able to attend at the time for personal reasons (which also lead to the low GPA) that are no longer present. Basically I should have just taken the year off, but nothing I can do about that now.

And yes, ImNoScar, I do realize how the thread was going to sound to some which is why I made it clear that it was just hypothetical for now. I am by no means banking on this plan, just curious if there was a small chance or no chance at transferring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”