Possible to transfer after beginning 2nd year? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Possible to transfer after beginning 2nd year?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Just wondering how late someone can transfer to schools in the T20. It looks like you have to start at the new school at the beginning of your second year. Any schools in this range that accept transfers after the start of the 2nd year? It'd be nice to have a little more time to get the GPA up.

cinephile

Gold

Re: Possible to transfer after beginning 2nd year?

Post by cinephile » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:50 pm

You can transfer. You just have to repeat 2L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 pm

cinephile wrote:You can transfer. You just have to repeat 2L.
Sorry, I had to work on a project for a bit. Is that really the case though? If so, I suppose I could undertake a dual degree in that second 2nd year to feel somewhat productive...would you mind explaining this a bit more? I'd really appreciate it.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:39 pm

There is a limited number of credits that can be accepted by the new school. So yes, it really is the case that you would have to repeat everything you did after 1L ended.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:48 pm

This has been discussed ad naseum on this forum.

The short answer:
a) It depends entirely on the transfer policies of the school you're trying to transfer into.
b) There are only anecdotal stories of students successfully transferring after the start of their 2L year. Almost every law school requires that you attend as a visiting student.
c) You will face huge (insurmountable?) obstacles explaining yourself during OCI, if the school even allows you to participate in it in the first place. There are equitable reasons to keep someone from participating in OCI twice (and presumably you've already participated in OCI at your former school.)
d) You're almost assuredly giving up more than you will gain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 pm

Purely anecdotal, but I have a friend who transferred from a T50 to a T20 after completing two full years. He had family circumstances requiring him to move back home (T20's market) but he is graduating on time. Grades weren't anything special. Top 1/3 I believe.
Anyway, point is it definitely depends on the school but is very much possible.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:15 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Purely anecdotal, but I have a friend who transferred from a T50 to a T20 after completing two full years. He had family circumstances requiring him to move back home (T20's market) but he is graduating on time. Grades weren't anything special. Top 1/3 I believe.
Did he really transfer, though, or was he just a visiting student? Because I thought it was like an ABA rule that you needed 2 years in residence to graduate from any particular school.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:17 pm

cinephile wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Purely anecdotal, but I have a friend who transferred from a T50 to a T20 after completing two full years. He had family circumstances requiring him to move back home (T20's market) but he is graduating on time. Grades weren't anything special. Top 1/3 I believe.
Did he really transfer, though, or was he just a visiting student? Because I thought it was like an ABA rule that you needed 2 years in residence to graduate from any particular school.
I believe it was a legit transfer. He'll be getting a degree from the new school, on time. I don't know anything about that rule, but maybe it's because he lived in the new school's state for his entire life (aside from the 2 years away at the T50). It was also his UG.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”