T38 to GW Early Action Chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T38 to GW Early Action Chances

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:03 am

Top Third with 3.6 GPA at T38 school with engineering background. What are my chances to getting into George Washington with early action? Should I wait and just apply normal? Advantages and disadvantages of both?

buddingjd

New

Re: T38 to GW Early Action Chances

Post by buddingjd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 am

I think you're probably good either way - they took ~100 transfers last year

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Gah OP, there is no such thing as a t38, much to the chagrin of UNC which just made the cut. Your anon and will not be outed by revealing what school you attend. Doing so helps posters trying to help you give more accurate advice, rather than having to ask you for more info. I will just assume you attend UNC.

To the poster above, GW = George Washington, not Georgetown. I do not believe GW had 100~ or so transfers.

Back to OP, I would say you are competitive for a transfer to GW, but would warn you against transferring simply to move 12'ish spots in the rankings. What is the impetus here, do you have ties to the D.C. area and are looking to move back? Would you save money moving to D.C.? Is there some tangible immediate benefit to transferring based on your circumstances? because honestly you will likely fair better at OCI with firms in the southeast coming from UNC than you would with firms in D.C. transferring to GW, even with the engineering background.

More importantly, if you bust your ass this second semester and clean up, you could move into the top 15% or so and that may open the door to the lower-t14...think NW, and a remote shot at Michigan/Penn. You also likely have a shot at Georgetown, but you can read mine and other people's posts elsewhere on why the smart money is often against transferring to gtown.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 pm

What's a T38?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:33 pm

The main reason for the transfer is that GW has a top IP program. They are only behind Stanford and Berkeley for that ranking. And to be competitive anywhere in t14 I thought you need a ranking at the 10% line or better. Am I wrong?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:48 pm

cinephile wrote:What's a T38?

38th.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The main reason for the transfer is that GW has a top IP program. They are only behind Stanford and Berkeley for that ranking. And to be competitive anywhere in t14 I thought you need a ranking at the 10% line or better. Am I wrong?
Copley has the top space law program

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 pm

guano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The main reason for the transfer is that GW has a top IP program. They are only behind Stanford and Berkeley for that ranking. And to be competitive anywhere in t14 I thought you need a ranking at the 10% line or better. Am I wrong?
Copley has the top space law program

great second post.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:31 pm

What type of engineering degree do you have? OCI firms do look at that as a factor in making their bids.

If you're an Electrical Engineer, you're "gold plated" as the Finnegan recruiter put it... Make the jump, get a 2L summer making way more than you're worth, enjoy life.

If you're a civil/mechanical/computer systems/etc engineer, then it may go to whether you have some career experience in the field. If so, you're in a very good spot to find BigLaw if you're in the top half of your class.

**Edit** IF you decided to go to GW that is... I have no idea what the climate is at your current school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”