GULC EA Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GULC EA

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Everyone here seems to be anti-GULC for transfers. What's the deal?

jess

Re: GULC EA

Post by jess » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:01 am

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim.jonner

New

Post by tim.jonner » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Everyone here seems to be anti-GULC for transfers. What's the deal?
Because haters gonna hate...

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Everyone here seems to be anti-GULC for transfers. What's the deal?
Who is anti-GULC?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:41 pm

3|ink wrote:
Who is anti-GULC?
TLS gives GULC little love.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreatNorth87

New

Post by GreatNorth87 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Jessuf wrote:I think anti-GULC sentiment here is way too strong.

With that said, chances of big law as a transfer are probably a lot lower than you think they are. Many people in the transfer class who had great ranks at their old school are still struggling to find something for the summer. GULC's big law rate is somewhere around 33%. So if GULC takes 100 transfers per year, just think of your chance of getting big law as 33% at the highest, but possibly even lower due to transfer stigma at some of firms.
52% of GULC students got SA positions this year.

Further, how do you jump to the conclusion that because 33% (again it was 52% this year, granted probably not all at V100) of all students get SA positions, transfers then fall within the same success rate? Shouldn't they be their own statistical category? It's a huge leap to say that to apply a general statistic to smaller, sub-groups. So did only 33% of URM students get summer spots? I think we are both relying on anecdotal evidence but I found that most transfers got SA positions at GULC this year. Some struck out and it sucks but those people tend to be the loudest, (i.e. its more polite to bring up that you struck out and are looking for work versus telling everyone you got a summer associate position)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:15 pm

So what is the % of transfer students who got SA positions this year?

GreatNorth87

New

Post by GreatNorth87 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So what is the % of transfer students who got SA positions this year?
I don't think there is any empirical information about this. Anyone speaking would be coming from anecdotal evidence, but everyone I know who transferred has a job, with the exception of four or five people. So out of the 20 or so transfers I know, it looks good but then there is someone who says the opposite. I will say I know a couple transfers who got spots at V20 firms without journal and I know a couple on journals who didn't get an offer anywhere.

jess

Post by jess » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GreatNorth87

New

Post by GreatNorth87 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:33 pm

Jessuf wrote:Sorry, I was talking about big law. And I was off. It was 30% of GULC in general that gets biglaw.

And about 52% end up in the private sector in general, which I'm assuming is what you're referring to.
52% of students in the c/o 2013 had 2L summer associate spots. That's what I'm referring to.

tim.jonner

New

Post by tim.jonner » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 am

Jessuf wrote:Sorry, I was talking about big law. And I was off. It was 30% of GULC in general that gets biglaw.

And about 52% end up in the private sector in general, which I'm assuming is what you're referring to.

I obviously have no statistical knowledge of what percent of transfers get big law. I just imputed that 30% to transfers. It could be higher, it could be lower. OCS had some sort of survey for the transfer students that I completed. Last summer, when preparing for OCI, I tried to get the results of a previous OCS transfer survey regarding big law and was told that information was "unavailable." It would be nice if transfer students maybe administered an anonymous SurveyMonkey survey to get some answers that could be shared with other students, including incoming transfers.

With that said, I have had an opposite experience as the other transfer in terms of anecdotes on SAs. I only know a few transfers with big law SAs, more transfers with mid law/small law SAs, about an equal number of transfers doing PI/Gov, and then probably about 5 who are still actively searching/waiting/interviewing at the moment. That's only maybe 30-35 people, and there are 100 total. Maybe the other 65 people are SAs for Cravath this summer.

However, the majority of 3Ls I know at this point have something lined up post-graduation, so that's definitely a good sign.

But getting away from employment talk, GULC is vastly better than my old school on almost every level. The professors are more accomplished, there is a bigger course load, the location is superior, there are more/better clinics, there are more/much better journals, etc. The only things my old school has on GULC are: (1) better moot court and trial teams but who cares about those rankings?; (2) better free food offers (and much more common/often); and (3) credit for journals and journals had tons of free, delicious food in the offices.

Even though I'm not doing big law, I don't regret coming here.
Maybe we should ask the transfer group to put something together?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:57 am

So worth throwing an EA app over to GULC then? I'm top 10% at a T2 (50s-60s), with 6+ years relevant WE. I want Big Law - hopefully in CA where I have ties. Willing, but not keen, on living elsewhere, if it means I get Big Law.

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:58 pm

I think the anti-GULC TLS groupthink is semi-warranted. GULC operates a machine, it brings in a shade under 600 students and then adds 100 transfers each year. That means the total class size increases by about 17%. No other law school increases its student body percentage by such a high margin. I just do not feel like looking it up, but if I recall correctly most schools increase their student body by about 10%. So that means transferring to GULC puts you in a larger transfer class compared to the rest of the t14. Couple that with GULC having the worst employment prospects of the t14, and you can begin to see why the hate is there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:12 pm

a11 1n wrote:I think the anti-GULC TLS groupthink is semi-warranted. GULC operates a machine, it brings in a shade under 600 students and then adds 100 transfers each year. That means the total class size increases by about 17%. No other law school increases its student body percentage by such a high margin. I just do not feel like looking it up, but if I recall correctly most schools increase their student body by about 10%. So that means transferring to GULC puts you in a larger transfer class compared to the rest of the t14. Couple that with GULC having the worst employment prospects of the t14, and you can begin to see why the hate is there.
+1

GULC could do itself a big favor by cutting its class by 1/3 or a 1/2. It would immediately increase its medians and its employment numbers, which would improve its ranking, which would attract students with higher numbers. I got 30K/year from GT but in the end I didn't really consider it because of the huge class size. The reason they won't do it, though, is because smaller class = lower revenues, which means less or lower faculty/administrator salaries. Basically they are protecting the interests of the administration/faculty at the expenses of the students....pretty despicable.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 am

a11 1n wrote:I think the anti-GULC TLS groupthink is semi-warranted. GULC operates a machine, it brings in a shade under 600 students and then adds 100 transfers each year. That means the total class size increases by about 17%. No other law school increases its student body percentage by such a high margin. I just do not feel like looking it up, but if I recall correctly most schools increase their student body by about 10%. So that means transferring to GULC puts you in a larger transfer class compared to the rest of the t14. Couple that with GULC having the worst employment prospects of the t14, and you can begin to see why the hate is there.
Doesn't just about every school lose about 1/3rd of its 1Ls from dropouts? I thought that was one of the reasons schools started accepting transfers.

a11 1n

Bronze

Post by a11 1n » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:22 pm

3|ink wrote:
Doesn't just about every school lose about 1/3rd of its 1Ls from dropouts? I thought that was one of the reasons schools started accepting transfers.
I have never heard that and I cannot imagine the number is anywhere near that high for any of the t14, including Georgetown.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 am

a11 1n wrote:
3|ink wrote:
I have never heard that and I cannot imagine the number is anywhere near that high for any of the t14, including Georgetown.
The attrition rates at t14s are really low. I could see crappier schools losing a 1/3 of its class from dropouts/transfers though. Schools accept transfers because it generates a lot of revenue, since transfers typically pay sticker (i.e. you can easily see how adding 17% of its initial class size at sticker seriously increases the amount of money GULC is making).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dsconn2

New

Post by dsconn2 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 pm

For what it is worth . . . T4 transfer . . . rejected EA, accepted during summer . . . 2 V5 offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:10 pm

dsconn, is there a list of OCI firms that went to GULC this year available somewhere online? I'm looking for info on the number of OCI firms from SF/SV that recruit there.

dsconn2

New

Post by dsconn2 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 pm

There was such a document available during EIW bidding but I do not think that it is still available. However, if you are concerned with having the chance to bid on NOCA firms, I would not worry. If you only bid on NOCA firms/offices, you could easily get 15+ screeners. Once you get a screener, its on you to sell yourself.

OSUDEVIL

New

Post by OSUDEVIL » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:53 am

dsconn2 wrote:For what it is worth . . . T4 transfer . . . rejected EA, accepted during summer . . . 2 V5 offers

Would you please share your rank at your T4??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dsconn2

New

Post by dsconn2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:51 pm

2 / 250ish

jess

Post by jess » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:23 am

What is this regional interview program in CA of which you speak?

jess

Post by jess » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”