Top 3% at tier 2 school. Transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 3% at tier 2 school. Transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 am

I finished in the top 3% of my class with a GPA of 3.7 after first semester at law school X (ranked between 70 and 80). What are my chances of being accepted as a transfer student to a top 14 school? Is it worth it to transfer if I can finish at the top of my class at the current school? Please help!

keg411

Platinum

Re: Top 3% at tier 2 school. Transfer?

Post by keg411 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I finished in the top 3% of my class with a GPA of 3.7 after first semester at law school X (ranked between 70 and 80). What are my chances of being accepted as a transfer student to a top 14 school? Is it worth it to transfer if I can finish at the top of my class at the current school? Please help!
First, congrats on killing 1L so far. Make sure to focus on repeating.
Second, it sounds like you have a good chance to get into a T14 if you keep up your grades
Third - this is where things get tricky:
1) Is your current school in the state where you want to live/work?
2) Is there a T14 school in the region where you want to live/work?
3) Do you have $$$ at your T2?
4) What do you want to do with your law degree?

TortedIt

New

Post by TortedIt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 am

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I finished in the top 3% of my class with a GPA of 3.7 after first semester at law school X (ranked between 70 and 80). What are my chances of being accepted as a transfer student to a top 14 school? Is it worth it to transfer if I can finish at the top of my class at the current school? Please help!
First, congrats on killing 1L so far. Make sure to focus on repeating.
Second, it sounds like you have a good chance to get into a T14 if you keep up your grades
Third - this is where things get tricky:
1) Is your current school in the state where you want to live/work?
2) Is there a T14 school in the region where you want to live/work?
3) Do you have $$$ at your T2?
4) What do you want to do with your law degree?
Thanks man. The state my school is in is definitely high on the places where I would like to live/work once I graduate but they are giving me no money right now (I'm also thinking transfer apps could help me pull a scholarship). There are no T14 schools in my state on nearby for that matter. I want to get in with a big firm, I'm thinking corporate law but not totally sure yet. Thanks for the help.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 am

If you want BigLaw, and you're getting zero $$, definitely apply to transfer. If you like your school, start with GULC EA and see if your school bites on money after that. If they don't, then apply more broadly (especially if there are any T14's where you're from).

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:03 am

OP, pm me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”