Transfer Scam Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
h2oplyer7

Bronze

Transfer Scam

Post by h2oplyer7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 pm

F
Last edited by h2oplyer7 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckythebadger

Bronze

Re: Transfer Scam

Post by buckythebadger » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:54 pm

This is an utterly pointless thread

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:55 pm

So, tell us how you REALLY feel.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 pm

:shock:
Last edited by dowu on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

buckythebadger wrote:This is an utterly pointless thread

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 pm

um, wut?

i am always down for a good bashing of the status quo system but this is just incoherent

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Looks like I stumbled onto the comments section of a yahoo news article.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:
(I wrote this while in International Law...whatever..)
this is your first problem

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:FULL DISCLOSURE:
ME - Currently a 1L at Maryland with a 3.31 after one semester. Full scholarship with additional GI Bill to pay for housing expenses. However, I’m scared, and unless you are a golden child from YSH or another T14, you should be too.

I am attempting to transfer this year. I would like to get into either GW, Notre Dame, UCI & UCLA. I know what you are thinking...I don’t have a chance with my GPA. Well, I bet you I do with at least two of them, because everyone is hurting, and law school in general is just a massive Ponzi scheme. All of those schools, except Notre Dame, will be free for me (GI Bill). Still, I have a tough road ahead of me, but I have to try because law schools are a messy business.

Overall, I have figured out that outside the top 20 to 30 law schools it is a complete mess, and even among those top schools there are some major problems just over the horizon.

LAW SCHOOLS RANKED 30-100
Kids are pulling hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans for a 50% chance (seems to be a good LST average of law schools ranked 30-100) of getting a job that pays less than $60k a year (my guestimate from LST). Soon people will figure it out, and like any economic bubble, it will burst leaving schools without students willing to pay...then bankruptcy.

LAW SCHOOLS RANKED 1-30
These schools, except for a few, have opened their doors to ever-larger classes, diluting their school’s reputation. As lower rank schools go under, everyone else will be concentrated at a few “elite” schools. What happens when everyone is elite? No one will be elite...except maybe YSH and a few others.

LAW SCHOOLS RANKED EVERYWHERE ELSE?
Welcome to the Twilight Zone. You better have a sizable scholarship or you will be spending your life paying off student loans. Think the government will bail you out? Hahaha They are just as broke as you!

FACTS:
1) US NEWS RANKINGS are CRAP!!! US News is part of the problem and encourages law schools to lie about employment prospects. If you want good law school rankings, go to LST.
2) LAW SCHOOLS are CRAP!!! Over the past two decades law schools (like all colleges) have increased their student bodies and ratcheted up tuition into the stratosphere. They have done this while pretending the legal market is growing at the same break-neck speed. It’s not. Read any good law blog out there. Above the Law is one of my favorites, so is Law School Scam.
3) US GOVERNMENT, CONGRESS and SALLIE MAE are CRAP!!! The new bubble is education. Forget the housing bubble, the dot-com bubble, and all the rest. This bubble starts with the government and educators telling everyone they deserve higher education because it will bring them more success in life. Loan lenders love it! They petition Congress to make student loans non-dischargeable in bankruptcy. Schools love it. They ratchet up their costs since lenders have security to lend. Congress, the president and loan lenders claim all of this education will help the next generation. It is crap and a myth. More education does not mean more money. It means being forever in debt. RISE ABOVE!
4) LAW SCHOOLS are DESPERATE!!! Plunging applications and ever-growing student classes. Law School Scam blog writes a lot about this. Law school applications are collapsing, and it is the smart kids that are staying away. Law Schools are desperate...this is where there is some good news.

THE GOOD NEWS!!!
Forget everyone who claims the same standards apply today. I think that if you are in the top 20% you will be treated like those who were in the top 10% a few years ago. Schools need to fill their classes. They don’t really care about their reputations, they need money. This means you!

If you don’t have a scholarship and you aren’t at a top 10 school, then you need to try to transfer.

If you have a scholarship and are at a top 50 school, you need to stay put. Unless you have a 4.0 and are confident you can keep that up at YSH, you will get no where in life. I can’t wait to hear all the “experts” who think differently try to explain this away. Times, they are a changin’. What we are looking at is a classic financial bubble.

Schools aren’t playing by real rules anymore. They are dancing in a fairytale. Sure, YSH, and a few others will survive. However, the rest of us are screwed. What you need to do is get smart and claw your way to the top. It is a Ponzi scheme. You don’t want to be left standing when everyone else finds a chair.

Save money, get into the best school, and forget school loyalty. Trust me, they don’t care about you either!!!

(I wrote this while in International Law...whatever..)
Obligatory QFP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 pm

So, the point of this thread was to try to boost your own hopes of transferring?

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:14 pm

I am sorry everyone thinks my observations were lame. I would love to get a job and that is all I care about.

I already have money...enough I don't need to work. The point was that most of the kids in law school today have no clue what awaits them. Debt, debt, and more debt. When I worked in finance in LA my team had plenty of clients who were successful, but broke. The most common reason, hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. A lot of that debt was student loans. I have lived my life avoiding debt and investing. It works. That was my point.

Anyways, just ignore the post if it offends you.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Thank you for this new and refreshing information

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

PinkCow wrote:Looks like I stumbled onto the comments section of a yahoo news article.

haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:This is an utterly pointless thread

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Damn OP, when the Pollfressor only posts one line in your thread AND it's just a requote, you know your thread sucks

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:04 pm

yeah, writing scamblog posts while in class with a suboptimal gpa is not a good look, OP.

Awkward

New

Post by Awkward » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:24 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:I am sorry everyone thinks my observations were lame. I would love to get a job and that is all I care about.

I already have money...enough I don't need to work. The point was that most of the kids in law school today have no clue what awaits them. Debt, debt, and more debt. When I worked in finance in LA my team had plenty of clients who were successful, but broke. The most common reason, hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. A lot of that debt was student loans. I have lived my life avoiding debt and investing. It works. That was my point.

Anyways, just ignore the post if it offends you.
How come like 99% of people who get called out for their post on this forum refer to some line about already having money / not needing a job? Are there just a lot of dumb trust fund babies trying to impress daddy by going to law school? But a rich kid probably wouldn't join the army.. so you're a self made millionaire? why attend law school to begin with?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Awkward wrote:But a rich kid probably wouldn't join the army.. so you're a self made millionaire? why attend law school to begin with?
Stats show that wealthier people are over represented in the armed forces. HTH.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Awkward wrote:But a rich kid probably wouldn't join the army.. so you're a self made millionaire? why attend law school to begin with?
Stats show that wealthier people are over represented in the armed forces. HTH.
LULZ with the hard, fast data.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Thank you for this new and refreshing information
+1

OP doesn't really deserve a response, but meh.

People need to distinguish T/TT/TTT -> T10 transfers (usually good idea) from TTTT -> TT transfers (danger). If you are transferring into a school with a horrible OCI, you're going to have a horrible OCI. But if you transfer into a school with a great OCI, you'll likely get something from it. Employers love CCN transfers and every CLS transfer I know has a 2L SA (most received many offers) regardless of what school they came from. By your own admission, you have no experience with the transfer process. So you're just making baseless generalizations.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 pm

First off, I was in the military, but I made my money in finance when I got out. I am NOT rich. But I am not desperate for a job since I can live off what I have. I am most likely older than everyone in here. I guess I don't get how these pages work.

Everyone in here is acting rather rude. I have not posted in a long time and I was only trying to help. From your responses you seem to already know what I was trying to talk about. That's fine. Most of this was new to me though. Maybe others didn't know either.

I don't see why there is all the hostility. I was merely trying to point out that there is a unique opportunity to get into a better law school this year if you don't have a scholarship. I have learned first hand that this is very important. One of the younger guys pointed me in the direction of law school scam and I have been reading it non-stop for the last day. Like I said, if you are bothered by my post don't respond.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 pm

shock259 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Thank you for this new and refreshing information
+1

This doesn't really deserve a response, but meh.

People need to distinguish T/TT/TTT -> T10 transfers (usually good idea) from TTTT -> TT transfers (danger). If you are transferring into a school with a horrible OCI, you're going to have a horrible OCI. But if you transfer into a school with a great OCI, you'll likely get something from it. Employers love CCN transfers and every CLS transfer I know has a 2L SA (most received many offers) regardless of what school they came from. By your own admission, you have no experience with the transfer process. So you're just making baseless generalizations.
+1. the disclosure of being a 1L discredits almost everything OP says. (That, and the fact that OP thinks transferring to GW, Notre Dame, UCI or UCLA will somehow take him/her out of the group of people he thinks are so screwed).
Last edited by tfer2222 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 pm

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN EVERYONE IS ELITE???

NO ONE IS ELITE!!!!!!!

Too bad your LA Finance Team wasn't hip to the whole law school bubble before you wasted your time moving cross country

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:55 am

Nice transfer manifesto, 1L.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:07 am

sounds like someone was on adderol when they typed this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”