Transfer from Wisconsin to Minnesota? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I tranfer to the University of Minnesota or Stay at the University of Wisconsin?

Transfer to the University of Minnesota
88%
Stay at the University of Wisconsin
13%

Total votes: 8

Anonymous User

Transfer from Wisconsin to Minnesota?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some input on my transfer situation. I'm currently a 1L at the University of Wisconsin. I am going to submit a transfer application to the University of Minnesota. While I understand that submitting an application is far from receiving acceptance, I was hoping you all could answer this question as if I was accepted to focus the responses on certain factors. Factors I am considering and would appreciate input on are leaving friends, leaving an old network and establishing a new one, and having to start over as far as GPA is concerned. I am also planning on moving back to Minnesota and hope to practice in that state regardless of where I graduate.

That being said, should I transfer to the University of Minnesota or stay at the University of Wisconsin? Feel free to include a short explanation of your reasoning.

***It would also be cheaper for me to attend the University of MN because I am a resident***

Thanks for your time and input.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Re: Transfer from Wisconsin to Minnesota?

Post by h2oplyer7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:05 pm

It seems that no one knows what the legal market will be like in the coming years. Though most seem to think it will be a mess. I would not be surprised to see T3/4 schools go out of business unless they adjust their prices. I just don't see how much longer these schools will find idiots to pay sticker. I too am attempting to transfer. I am at Maryland but only got a 3.31 last semester. Maryland is free for me (I have the Yellow Ribbon for being military and a scholarship). I am very debt averse.

To me, I am going to scrape my way up the highest ranked law school I can get into. I have no loyalty to any school, only to job prospects. To me, LST is my ranking system. I could give a crap about US News. They are part of the problem. I don't have the luxury of going to YSH or any of the top 14 with my GPA so I need to look at getting into the school with the best job prospects. Heck, I might not have the grades to go anywhere else. Still, I am going to try to transfer. I believe that schools are desperate and will take more transfers than ever before.

Now, that is all me.

For you, however, try and weigh the pros and cons of leaving Wisconsin (a good school - though not as good as Minnesota). Can you make Law Review at Wisconsin? If not, or if you don't care, and if the price is right, then I say go. If that is where you want to live you will probably get a better job going to the big school in the state.

Money is key though. At least I think so. Do you have a scholarship? I am only going to transfer to schools ranked higher that are Yellow Ribbon so they will also be free. I am not going to pay a penny for law school since I don't trust the market. Just whatever you do, don't pay more unless you have to. I can't think of a reason you would have to.

My thoughts...

Jhausie

New

Post by Jhausie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Last edited by Jhausie on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Do it! That sounds awesome!

Good luck!

rouser

Bronze

Post by rouser » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote: xfer to mn?
you need to be top half of the class

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”