Unusual transfer question Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Moose700

New

Unusual transfer question

Post by Moose700 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm a 2L and am wondering if anyone knows of emergency situations where schools have allowed people to transfer during their 2L year. I know that there is special visiting status for 3Ls and the usual transfer option for 1L applicants, but what about for current 2Ls?

My situation is that I have been struggling with knee problems throughout law school, found out last week that my most recent operation failed, and that the best hope is to undergo a specialized and complicated procedure that few surgeons are trained in. The upshot is that I will need to get this operation in NYC, which is not where I am in law school, and the recovery will last for the duration of the semester at least. Being in NYC would greatly help me balance recovery and school -- I will need to visit the doctor a few times for follow-ups, and I could live at home while I heal as opposed to struggling on my own.

By way of background, I am 10% at a lower T14 and would be looking to transfer or visit at NYU or Columbia. If anyone has any information about these schools or others being flexible about transfer/visitation requirements, please post here or PM me.

Thanks!

Wholigan

Silver

Re: Unusual transfer question

Post by Wholigan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Sorry to hear about your medical issues. As I understand it, you want to spend the second semester of 2L year visiting at another school, and then return to your current school for 3L year. You can't transfer permanently to another school at this point, since I believe they all require two full years at the transfer school if they are going to give you a degree. Since this is not your typical visiting scenario, I would start by reaching out to someone at your current school, such as the Dean of Students, and explain your situation. Perhaps s/he will try to assist you. After that, you should probably call admissions at Columbia/NYU and ask.

Moose700

New

Post by Moose700 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Wholigan wrote:Sorry to hear about your medical issues. As I understand it, you want to spend the second semester of 2L year visiting at another school, and then return to your current school for 3L year. You can't transfer permanently to another school at this point, since I believe they all require two full years at the transfer school if they are going to give you a degree. Since this is not your typical visiting scenario, I would start by reaching out to someone at your current school, such as the Dean of Students, and explain your situation. Perhaps s/he will try to assist you. After that, you should probably call admissions at Columbia/NYU and ask.
Thanks for your help.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:48 pm

PM'd

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”