Need Help...Fast (T3 to T1 Advice Please) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What should I do now that I've missed Ohio State's OCI?

Still transfer to Ohio State, better opportunities in the long run
68%
Stay at Cleveland Marshall and hope for the best at OCI
32%

Total votes: 28

AVBucks4239

Silver

Need Help...Fast (T3 to T1 Advice Please)

Post by AVBucks4239 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm

I've given thought about transferring several times and haven't applied yet. Well, upon news of hearing that my friend got into Ohio State with slightly lower grades, I all of a sudden feel like I have the balls to transfer as well.

First, something that will be hard to equate for all you TLSers is the emotional attachment I have to Ohio State. My grandpa graduated undergrad from there in 1948; my mom in 1979; and me in 2010. It's more than just a university to me and my family. It's really impossible to explain, so I'll just save you the time and stop.

BUT, I eventually want to practice in Cleveland. Cleveland Marshall places really well in Cleveland, perhaps better than Ohio State. But Ohio State places better in all other Ohio cities, at least giving me options.

Furthermore, here is my resume at Cleveland Marshall:
Ranked top 10%
Graded onto Law Review
Have a small firm clerk position lined up until next May
Going to be a Legal Writing Tutor next year
$12k/year scholarship, making tuition about $10k

Ohio State would be about $25k/year. But, because I'd have a roommate, I'd save about $5k/year in COL. So you're looking at about $10k more per year to go to Ohio State.

Edit: I've already missed the formal deadlines for Ohio State's OCI. I would have to contact firms individually.

So, all that said, is it worth it to transfer? With Ohio State, I have the better school, and more importantly, the emotional/family attachment. But, with Marshall, I have maybe a better chance at Cleveland firms and some solid things lined up.

All help and advice is appreciated.
Last edited by AVBucks4239 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bloobook

Bronze

Re: Need Help...Fast (T3 to T1 Advice Please)

Post by bloobook » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 pm

bloobook wrote:What is the estimated cost of attendance for each school?
Can't believe I excluded probably the most important factor. Updated the original post to reflect difference in COA.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Also, since this is such a close call, I'd appreciate it if you guys posted your logic/rationale for voting the way you did.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:51 pm

You are asking for advice as to whether to apply? Yes apply. If you get in, I dunno, my first impulse is that you should transfer. You will probably do well at Ohio State, but I don't really know anything about either school,

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:02 am

I'm a sucker for the intangibles, and for what the extra cost is I think it would be worth it to go to Ohio State. Would much rather say I graduated from Ohio State 10 years down the line than CM. However, there is risk involved financially but the reward for doing well at Ohio State could be worth it?

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:56 pm

Jessuf wrote:It's end of July, and you haven't applied yet??
Ya, I know I'm last minute.

I actually spoke to somebody in career services and I've basically already missed the deadlines for Ohio State's OCI.

Still, I can contact recruiting coordinators individually and set up interviews that way. Will that put me at a significant disadvantage with the people who are doing the more formal OCI?

I'm really, really torn here.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:01 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:It's end of July, and you haven't applied yet??
Ya, I know I'm last minute.

I actually spoke to somebody in career services and I've basically already missed the deadlines for Ohio State's OCI.

Still, I can contact recruiting coordinators individually and set up interviews that way. Will that put me at a significant disadvantage with the people who are doing the more formal OCI?

I'm really, really torn here.
What are you so torn about? You don't even know if you are accepted yet. Just apply and see what happens. You are trying to make decisions that aren't even on the table yet, and you are screwing yourself over in the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lnllnl

Bronze

Post by lnllnl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:02 pm

sunynp wrote:What are you so torn about? You don't even know if you are accepted yet. Just apply and see what happens. You are trying to make decisions that aren't even on the table yet, and you are screwing yourself over in the process.
+1

jess

Post by jess » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Jessuf wrote:Too bad you waited so long. You could have gone T20 with those numbers.
I appreciate the compliment, but the only school I would transfer to is Ohio State. I'm not gunning for BigLaw, I just want to pursue a career here in Ohio.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

in_reverie

New

Post by in_reverie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 pm

You can get the letters of rec in enough time, too? They actually accept transfer applications this late...?

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:30 pm

in_reverie wrote:You can get the letters of rec in enough time, too? They actually accept transfer applications this late...?
Yep. I have a professor I'm close with and he's gonna get it to me by tomorrow.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”