Transfer to UC Hastings or Pepperdine?? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
justright157

Bronze

Re: Transfer to UC Hastings or Pepperdine??

Post by justright157 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:23 pm

What the hell is wrong with u people?

Lara567

New

Post by Lara567 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:37 am

justright157 wrote:What the hell is wrong with u people?
Hahaha.. This board is so full of 'ridiculousness' it's sad.. You people are so dead set on biglaw or bust but.. have you ever worked at a big law firm in your life? Do you have any idea what really goes on in the day to day life of those attorneys? Probably not. Most of them are pretty miserable. They work longer hours than most professions out there and for what? $160k? If your lucky. You really think that's enough to afford a mortgage? Pay your student loans (which are pretty much equivalent to a mortgage)? Buy fancy cars? support a family of 3+? HA! Keep dreaming. $160k is not as much as you think it is. It's really kind of a standard salary for most 2 income families. Now if you marry someone who is also making that kind of money then yes you will live pretty comfortably. If you went to law school to become wealthy then good luck to you. Maybe you should consider getting a masters in finance instead. They pay their boys a hell of a lot more. I worked at one of the most prestigious law firms in downtown LA for 3 years and there is absolutely nothing glamorous about it. The best analogy would be a rat running in a cage wheel trying so hard to get to the cheese tied at the top. Those firms hire around 50 summer associates a year (and that was in the 2007 golden era) and only 1 or 2 of them will ever have the opportunity to make partner. Everyone else will work like dogs for 2 years doing all the b**ch work and then asked politely (forced?) to move on. Most of the associates end up working at midsize firms anyway or leaving the profession all together because life wasn't what they "expected". I don't understand why people don't work a few years in their aspiring profession before actually taking the plunge. Smaller firms don't pay as much as those top tier firms but the overall quality of living is much much better. Believe it or not, people who don't go to law school or T14s actually become pretty successful. I know... shocking. If you people invested even half the amount of time you spend researching law school/OCI/big law into the REAL WORLD then maybe your noses wouldn't be so congested with elitist snot.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:03 am

Lara567 wrote:
justright157 wrote:What the hell is wrong with u people?
Hahaha.. This board is so full of 'ridiculousness' it's sad.. You people are so dead set on biglaw or bust but.. have you ever worked at a big law firm in your life? Do you have any idea what really goes on in the day to day life of those attorneys? Probably not. Most of them are pretty miserable. They work longer hours than most professions out there and for what? $160k? If your lucky. You really think that's enough to afford a mortgage? Pay your student loans (which are pretty much equivalent to a mortgage)? Buy fancy cars? support a family of 3+? HA! Keep dreaming. $160k is not as much as you think it is. It's really kind of a standard salary for most 2 income families. Now if you marry someone who is also making that kind of money then yes you will live pretty comfortably. If you went to law school to become wealthy then good luck to you. Maybe you should consider getting a masters in finance instead. They pay their boys a hell of a lot more. I worked at one of the most prestigious law firms in downtown LA for 3 years and there is absolutely nothing glamorous about it. The best analogy would be a rat running in a cage wheel trying so hard to get to the cheese tied at the top. Those firms hire around 50 summer associates a year (and that was in the 2007 golden era) and only 1 or 2 of them will ever have the opportunity to make partner. Everyone else will work like dogs for 2 years doing all the b**ch work and then asked politely (forced?) to move on. Most of the associates end up working at midsize firms anyway or leaving the profession all together because life wasn't what they "expected". I don't understand why people don't work a few years in their aspiring profession before actually taking the plunge. Smaller firms don't pay as much as those top tier firms but the overall quality of living is much much better. Believe it or not, people who don't go to law school or T14s actually become pretty successful. I know... shocking. If you people invested even half the amount of time you spend researching law school/OCI/big law into the REAL WORLD then maybe your noses wouldn't be so congested with elitist snot.
u mad?

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:09 pm

Lara567 wrote: If you people invested even half the amount of time you spend researching law school/OCI/big law into the REAL WORLD then maybe your noses wouldn't be so congested with elitist snot.
who are you attacking exactly? there's only been one person in this thread that took an "elistist" jab at the OP.

the advice against Hastings/Pepperdine isn't elitism, it's just the sad reality. either of those schools will give you a 5-10% chance at a big firm, but only 20-30% of the rest are getting full time, small and mid firm work. Just look at the data on lawschooltransparency

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Lara567 wrote:If you people invested even half the amount of time you spend researching law school/OCI/big law into the REAL WORLD then maybe your noses wouldn't be so congested with elitist snot.
Preeeeeetty sure the argument is that spending so much money on these schools is only justified if you can repay loans within 4-5 years which requires a biglaw salary to also live comfortably. I haven't personally seen many threads lately that discuss big law with an elitist tone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Starscream15

New

Post by Starscream15 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Its not that hard. Quality of life, employment prospects and where you want to work. If you want LA then go Loyola. If you want Bay Area/Nor Cal go Hastings. Either way if you want BigLaw you need to be near the top or have an awesome resume/extra curriculars to make up for it.

I would check the bar passage stats as well. Can't work if you aren't licensed.

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:59 pm

She is not going to get biglaw as a transfer to any of those schools.

As for Lara, people are worrying about just getting a job. These mythical small and mid sized law jobs are just as competitive as the big stuff for new grads. Most small firms want 3-5 years experience min. Additionally, It is kind of hard to start "small" and work your way up when you are servicing 100-250k worth of debt. People are shooting for biglaw because that is one of the only ways to make loan payments. This isn't 1990, law school is a bad investment across the board.

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:09 pm

calgirl27 wrote:UPDATE!

Been bumped up to top 10% at southwestern because of all the transfers out (i guess i was on the boarder of 20% and 10%). Also, got admitted to Loyola LA yesterday. Thoughts?
Hey I was wondering if you are going to put top 10% or top 20% on your resume after your bump-up in rankings. It seems that schools do not officially re-rank students after people transfer out, and that schools will only report your rank before the bump-up due to transfers.

Thanks for any comments.

duncanmn95

New

Post by duncanmn95 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Transferring to pepperdine is trading AIDS for chlamydia.
Yeah, well that presents a pretty good argument for transferring bro.
Logic must not be your bag twat waffle. The point is that youre still in a terrible spot.

I don't think there's a need for name-calling, and I don't appreciate it.

I could see if you meant to suggest that OP drop out that your analogy could logically represent that conclusion, but that wasn't being discussed as an option. So given only two options (stay or transfer) your analogy logically represents that transferring is the right choice. But yeah, I got it that you are basically saying that you think OP is screwed with only those options.
k, like, chlamydia is WAY better than AIDS, duh, in fact, if you have chlamydia, then you're probably getting laid, and that's cik! Everyone LOVES gettin it in, so if you get chlamydia, it's basically just a sign that you're winning at life, that is, if you find out about it b4 it actually damages your reproductive system, but as long as you do, you're fine, just take some antibiotix and yer gud ;) AIDS is a totally different story, that wud totally suck!!!!
Last edited by 06102016 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: User was temporarily banned for this post and the post has been locked, lest anyone forget what a turd this poster is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”