Discussion: Stay at Cornell or Transfer to Harvard Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Arbiter213

Gold

Re: Discussion: Stay at Cornell or Transfer to Harvard

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:08 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Why don't you leverage the Harvard acceptance against Cornell for more $cholly? With desire to clerk, and costs the same, I would stay at Cornell, b/c there is evidence that transfers struggle to land clerkships compared to similarly ranked students at their old schools.
Yeah I tried that. Got the reply today. It was more or less "thanks but no thanks." I get it, but still super lame, especially with their recent fancy $25 million donation
The donation is actually a bequest, so they don't have it yet.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Why don't you leverage the Harvard acceptance against Cornell for more $cholly? With desire to clerk, and costs the same, I would stay at Cornell, b/c there is evidence that transfers struggle to land clerkships compared to similarly ranked students at their old schools.
Yeah I tried that. Got the reply today. It was more or less "thanks but no thanks." I get it, but still super lame, especially with their recent fancy $25 million donation
The donation is actually a bequest, so they don't have it yet.
alright PinkCow, you know what to do.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:17 pm

I guess it depends how badly you want to clerk and how much you care what kind of clerkship it is. With top 10% and LR at Cornell, you're not in the running for any feeder, but you probably have a shot at some COAs if you apply broadly, especially if you have good faculty relationships. Still not a sure thing by any means though; you could easily strike out at the circuit level.

If you transfer, going COA straight out is highly unlikely since it will be much more difficult to build the type of relationships you need in time. If you do well, you should still be able to land a district court clerkship. Of course, if you don't do well, you won't be able to clerk at all.

Personally, I'd transfer. It would be different if your rank was higher and you were giving up a shot at a feeder/SCOTUS, but you're not. Clerking sounds great, but I don't think it's such a great option that it's worth saving money by going to Harvard, especially since you'll still have a shot at it anyway. I don't think staying is a bad decision either though; if that's your gut, stick with it.

stylus_go

New

Post by stylus_go » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 pm

dixon02 wrote:I don't think staying is a bad decision either though; if that's your gut, stick with it.
+1.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:08 pm

dixon02 wrote:
Personally, I'd transfer. .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”