Berkeley v. Davis Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay or go?

Berkeley
73%
Davis
27%

Total votes: 33

fls_CA

New

Berkeley v. Davis

Post by fls_CA » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Another worthless stay or go thread. Why? All my friends are sick of hearing me complain.

At Davis now. Top 5%. 80% tuition covered. L. Rev.

In at Berkeley. Prob sticker price. Chance at L. Rev. and OCI.

Apps pending at other T14s. S long-shot. H holding out, but prob done for (good softs, GPA ~0.1 too low IMO)

I personally like Davis. I'm comfortable, have good connections with faculty (still butthurt about one grade :evil: ) can focus there, nice apartment, feel healthy and happy.

However, I think I want (at least a shot at) a clerkship/academia. I know Berkeley isn't YH, but whatever. Profs have come out of Berkeley.

Biggest reason to go is prestige, larger market.
Biggest reason to stay is money/less debt. OCI is for sure. Flexibility in life after graduation (if I decide to pursue more education for example)

I don't want to get sucked into working off debt at a firm I hate. Maybe I'm just being naive about that. :roll:

Thoughts/flames are welcome. Thanks!

lisavj

Bronze

Re: Berkeley v. Davis

Post by lisavj » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Join me!!

Of course my decision was easier. Gave up 20% tuition assistance not 80...

Clerkship shot is much better at Berks.

farmernate

New

Post by farmernate » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Congrats on killing it 1L year :lol:

If you want clerkships, its going to be tough at either Berkeley or Davis. If you transfer to Berkeley, you have one year to develop 3 solid connections with professors for recommendations, which isn't going to be easy as a transfer student. If you stay at Davis, Davis has terrible clerkship placement statistics. You are probably a lock for Big Law at top 5% from Davis.

I don't envy your decision, especially because it seems like you enjoy being at Davis.

Skyblaze

New

Post by Skyblaze » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Last edited by Skyblaze on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trespass2chattel

New

Post by trespass2chattel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:31 pm

I heard this quote last night while discussing my own options, "When I have a difficult decision between doing something and not doing something, I usually just do it because it's much harder to regret doing something than imagining what life would have been like if you took that chance."

In short, though to me it seems like you're leaning towards Davis, you need to ask yourself if you'd regret staying. I don't know what type if person you are, but with your aspirations I don't think you'd regret going to the Top 10 school that is only an hour away from where you are now.

These are just thoughts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fls_CA

New

Post by fls_CA » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks for the advice all.

The "regret" argument is a good one. Of course, I might regret leaving behind a good foundation and money for a riskier enterprise and debt :|

No risk no reward though :twisted:

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:19 pm

In my experience & in my opinion, law review is a separate law school learning experience. The certainty of law review, top 5% ranking & 80% tuition scholarship is a lot to give up. Can UC-Davis get you an Article III clerkship ? If likely, then stay. But, if you're serious about academia, then Berkeley may be the better school. Regardless, your real "problem" has yet to surface---a Harvard or Stanford admission---that will make this discussion moot.

fls_CA

New

Post by fls_CA » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:35 pm

The clerkship thing at Davis is tenuous. Certainly possible. Might require me to ball (really) hard the next few years. Or move up through the District Court. I can prob get a letter of rec from the U.S. Circuit Judge I'm working for now though.

One guy from Davis is on the 9th right now. Just graduated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”