Cornell. Why? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aca0260

Bronze

Cornell. Why?

Post by aca0260 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Looks like a decent number of your are applying to Cornell. If you can't sit for OCI, why bother? Are you hoping you will be among the few to get in early enough to bid for OCI, or do you really think its worth attending without OCI?

Lyonsoccer87

Bronze

Re: Cornell. Why?

Post by Lyonsoccer87 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm actually curious about whether its their policy to wait till after the deadline to accept ppl. Cornell is a great school and if i get accepted before the deadline i would love to go. I applied early, and I have been complete for a little while. Also, they updated my status date to today for some reason. If i get in early enough to beat the OCI deadline, then future TLS'rs will know that transferring to cornell is a viable option and not just scamish (my small contribution).

aca0260

Bronze

Post by aca0260 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 pm

Someone shot over an email discussion he/she had with admissions and they basically said its not a policy-per say to exclude transfers, but a practicality of their early OCI bid deadline. I don't actually know the date. I don't even have my class rank yet so there is I won't meet the deadline.

Is there some other benefit to transferring to Cornell outside of its kickass NY OCI?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Didn't apply for this reason.

Although it's going to be such a mad dash at OCI if I transfer that I'll probably strike out at OCI anyway.

IsTheFatLadySinging

Bronze

Post by IsTheFatLadySinging » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 am

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:I'm actually curious about whether its their policy to wait till after the deadline to accept ppl. Cornell is a great school and if i get accepted before the deadline i would love to go. I applied early, and I have been complete for a little while. Also, they updated my status date to today for some reason. If i get in early enough to beat the OCI deadline, then future TLS'rs will know that transferring to cornell is a viable option and not just scamish (my small contribution).
Update today as well

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TFR

Bronze

Post by TFR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:29 am

Cornell is known not to like transfer students (tons of posts on TLS about this). In my opinion, it is only worth it if accepted, and:

1) Your current school gives you NO chance of the job you want

2) You are paying sticker

3) You hate your current school

4) You are willing to put up with the hostility over staying at your current school.

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Not sure if this answers anyones questions but this is from the acceptance email: ". . . If you are interested in participating in the late summer/early fall job fairs organized by our Career Office, the earlier you are able to act the better." Unlike other schools, they don't seem to be guaranteeing that you will be a part of their OCI process.

Also, can someone elaborate on "hostility" at Cornell towards transfer students? I mean, how bad can it be right? Thanks.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Bids are due by the 10th.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:15 pm

There shouldn't really be hostility to transfers. The rising 2Ls are for the most part extremely nice and welcoming. Come out and drink with us, etc, and everything should be fine. The major deterrent that should exist is getting in too late to get in on the August Jobs Fair.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:16 pm

clone22 wrote:There shouldn't really be hostility to transfers. The rising 2Ls are for the most part extremely nice and welcoming. Come out and drink with us, etc, and everything should be fine. The major deterrent that should exist is getting in too late to get in on the August Jobs Fair.
Thanks for the helpful reply. When is too late?

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:19 pm

donniedarko wrote:
clone22 wrote:There shouldn't really be hostility to transfers. The rising 2Ls are for the most part extremely nice and welcoming. Come out and drink with us, etc, and everything should be fine. The major deterrent that should exist is getting in too late to get in on the August Jobs Fair.
Thanks for the helpful reply. When is too late?
As Ajax posted, July 10th is the deadline for us to submit. I'm assuming that if you get in before that, you're good to go. Otherwise, might not be worth it, especially if you'll be paying sticker. Very few firms (or at least at this ajf) are hiring 3Ls. And you want AJF because the "oci" is mainly for upstate NY employers. There might be a big law firm or two there, but I wouldn't count on it.

donniedarko

New

Post by donniedarko » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Aha understood. Gotta think fast. Thanks clone22!

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26 pm

donniedarko wrote:Aha understood. Gotta think fast. Thanks clone22!
no problem. good luck

chatterbox43

New

Post by chatterbox43 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:04 pm

For what it's worth, one of the transfer students did make it to OCI last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”