The T14 barrier Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dtl

Bronze

The T14 barrier

Post by dtl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Hey all,

My question is: how tangible is the T14 barrier in the real world compared to schools just above it. Right now I am in at UCLA transfer and have family in Los Angeles. I also got into Georgetown( who gave me 4 days to make a decision) and expect that I will possibly get into Cornell.

Since they are only one or two ranks above UCLA I am leaning towards my preference to staying near my family. At the same time tbose one or two ranks breach into the T14. How important is that? Is it something that recruiters actually pay attention to or is the ranking pretty much all linear after you clear hvs?

opinions appreciated! Thanks.

abc12345675

Bronze

Re: The T14 barrier

Post by abc12345675 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:45 pm

For flexibility as to location- yes. If you want to work in LA though, just go to UCLA. A Cornell grad isn't going to have an advantage over you.

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 pm

dtl wrote:Hey all,

My question is: how tangible is the T14 barrier in the real world compared to schools just above it. Right now I am in at UCLA transfer and have family in Los Angeles. I also got into Georgetown( who gave me 4 days to make a decision) and expect that I will possibly get into Cornell.

Since they are only one or two ranks above UCLA I am leaning towards my preference to staying near my family. At the same time tbose one or two ranks breach into the T14. How important is that? Is it something that recruiters actually pay attention to or is the ranking pretty much all linear after you clear hvs?

opinions appreciated! Thanks.
Rankings are entirely irrelevant. Look at the employment data for each school, and try to gauge its placement power in the region where you want to practice.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Where do you want to practice?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Depends upon your target market. In your case, I suspect that you are targeting law firms in Southern California. With substantial ties to that geographic area, Georgetown & Cornell will work as well as or, possibly, better than UCLA for biglaw placement in SoCal. If this is your target market, then it comes down to personal preference among UCLA, Cornell & Georgetown but interviewing will be easier if attending a local, dominant law school, in my opinion.

jess

Post by jess » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”